Storm Digital D02 NOS DAC - Impressions
May 12, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #31 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikechai
Look at the gears he has. Its no surprise he gets the D02 just for the sake of testing or owning it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Drool over the Grand SLAMM though. The Alexandria suppose to be even better right?
orphsmile.gif

I believe so. The Grand SLAMMs are discontinued.

Other gear in that picture is a Mclntosh MC3500 power amp and an FM Acoustic preamp. The speaker cables are $20k MITs.

Ultimately, he preferred his Boulder 2020 DAC ($37,000) in the main system (he said the Boulder is more detailed, but the D02 more musical), so he retired the D02 to the bedroom rig, where he uses it with his JBL K2 speakers at only $25,000 USD a pair.
frown.gif

May 12, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #32 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
The Squeezebox's analog out does not seem to have as textured a bass, and seems sterile and lifeless in comparison.

Please refer to my Benchmark DAC-1 vs. D02 thread, as that's pretty much what I think of the Squeezebox 3 vs. D02 (with the Squeezebox 3 being less refined than the DAC-1 in my ears).

That first sentence is very similar to the way I felt about the Squeezebox versus DAC-1. The bass is very lacking with only the Squeezebox that the music feels flat and lifeless. Using the DAC-1, things get more refined, details in the background appear and things are just more defined in space. These results are through speakers. I've found results regarding spacial details and music details are totally different on headphones to the point that details may seem to jump out at you through headphones while they will hold their position better through speakers.

One day I'll get the d02 for comparison. I'm stuck without an amplifier for my speakers for the time being until I save up enough money for a good amplifier.

May 12, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #33 of 114
Quote:

Ultimately, he preferred his Boulder 2020 DAC ($37,000) in the main system (he said the Boulder is more detailed, but the D02 more musical), so he retired the D02 to the bedroom rig, where he uses it with his JBL K2 speakers at only $25,000 USD a pair.
frown.gif

He should have tried the Zhaolu if he wanted more detail...
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #34 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikechai
Drool over the Grand SLAMM though.

I used to work in an audio store that sold Grand SLAMM's, I never quite understood what the big deal was, they can sound impressive but personally there were many other speakers in the store that played actual music at a fraction of the cost I would have taken over the Grand SLAMM's any day of the week.

May 12, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #35 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
He should have tried the Zhaolu if he wanted more detail...
biggrin.gif

Yeah, cause the Zhaolu is more detailed than the Boulder 2020..

May 12, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #36 of 114
Quote:

Yeah, cause the Zhaolu is more detailed than the Boulder 2020..

Do I detect a dash of sarcasm?
biggrin.gif

Incidentally, I highly doubt any of these Chinese DACs/players can match the Boulder stuff. I've heard it on several occasions, and it's just unbelievable. You're not going to match a Boulder DAC with a $500 piece from China, end of story. Yes, they're great values, but not that great.

May 12, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #37 of 114
Yow, what a setup! Those look like Elac speakers behind the Wilsons, they have that dome on top which is their tweeter.

Also looks like a Cello Audio Pallette, too. Some big $ stuff there for sure.

Of course, the room is indeed the problem. That disco ball must diffuse the sound too much!
tongue.gif

May 12, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #38 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
biggrin.gif

Incidentally, I highly doubt any of these Chinese DACs/players can match the Boulder stuff. I've heard it on several occasions, and it's just unbelievable. You're not going to match a Boulder DAC with a $500 piece from China, end of story. Yes, they're great values, but not that great.

I haven't heard the Boulder gear myself but I don't doubt you're probably right. A little dose of reality is a good thing BUT I think the point that was trying to be made is the value that a DAC like the Storm Digital D02 offers. I'd have to say it's easily the best I've had in my system and based on my brief time with the Lavry DA10 I would say it plays in at least that league. Also take into account the outstanding build quality and I think it's just astounding that this thing is in the $500 range.

May 12, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #39 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
biggrin.gif

A dash or a serving?
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #40 of 114
About the bass D02 produces... at this point I just love it. It's the best bass I've heard with headphones. With Juli@ it just was there... one noted and boring. Now it's much deeper, faster and there's better resolution. Amazing.

[size=xx-small]It's funny that I don't consider myself as basshead at all but it's always easiest to hear the differencies in low end.[/size]

May 12, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #42 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by surfboardz26
akwok, so did you get to listen to his set up? What do you think? Do you prefer the sound of you headphone set up over the speakers?

No..

May 12, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #44 of 114
Yeah, me too, but he's halfway around the world..

May 12, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #45 of 114
It looks sooo nice
biggrin.gif
I see a baby do2 + headfive + k701 as my future bedroom setup
biggrin.gif

Is there any change in the soundstage wideness yet? That would be the only dealbreaker for me
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back