Storm D02A word clock
Aug 8, 2006 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

regal

Headphoneus Supremus
Any one have a picture of the storm PCB where I could see how the clock is implemented?

My concern is how a word clock output could slave a transport if the DAC is operating in asynchronous reclocking ?

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 24
Also it will be interesting to know how to access to the transport or CD player to add on the wordclock from DAC02A.

Read about Rega Planet 2000 can have such facility but still no info available how to carry out such thing by any interested users like us??

Thanks

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 24
I have done extensive research into adding a wordclock input to a transport.
Basically it is an unknown. What you would need to do is pull the transports oscillator and somehow convert the wordclock to that oscillators frequency.
I know a flipflop can divide, but I haven't found anything that could multiply the frequency.

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal
My concern is how a word clock output could slave a transport if the DAC is operating in asynchronous reclocking ?

You would use the local clock as the wordclock output which in fact should get this system to work synchronously rather than asynchronously.

I read you other post as well about the multiplier. I am not exactly sure what it is you are trying to do but the explanation in wikipedia conveys the idea clearer than anything I have read in an EE book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_multiplier

btw. Simply driving any transport oscillator by this external frequency will probably not do the trick. You will need a transport where the drive assembly is asynchronously controlled by this oscillator. Newer chipsets allow this mode where the data transferred from the CD is buffered and read out by that external oscillator clock. Depending on the fill grade of that buffer the drive mechanism is accelerated or slowed down to provide an synchronous data stream slaved to the external clock.

This is of course simple with a computer as a source. Many sound cards have a word clock input.

Cheers

Thomas

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 24
I think it is fair to say that without wordclock input on your transport you aren't going to add it. As far as I can tell it has never been done.

I don't know who started the rumor about the Rega, there is no wordclock input on that player.

I have found some Pro Audio transports with word clock input but they were several thousand dollars, also there are a few consumer level transports in the $5k to $10k range with wordclock input.

Aug 10, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

I don't know who started the rumor about the Rega, there is no wordclock input on that player.

That was me. It wasn't a rumor, more like a misunderstanding. I think LessLoss's site is sort of misguiding, as I don't really remember reading that they install the word clock on the Planet 2000.

Aug 10, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

As far as I can tell it has never been done.

Sure it has... Lessloss will mod transports to have a word clock input, and I am sure I remember reading some other DIY'ers accomplishing similar feats.

Aug 10, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Sure it has... Lessloss will mod transports to have a word clock input, and I am sure I remember reading some other DIY'ers accomplishing similar feats.

No, LessLoss adds a superclock input. This is not word clock. There is a big difference. Read their FAQ or email them.

Aug 10, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

No, LessLoss adds a superclock input. This is not word clock. There is a big difference.

Oh, my bad, I thought they were the same.
redface.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #10 of 24
Super clock is the same frquency as the oscillator in the DAC, so it has to match the original frequency in the transport where the oscillator is removed.

Word clock is the sampling frequency so 44.1 with the NOS-DAC's. So it would have to be multiplied to the original oscillator frequency in the transport. Hence the issue. I would love to see a circuit diagram with an added word clock inut to a transport.

I have searched most of the forums and there is a lot of hot air on the subject but no real circuit diagrams. I am an empirical engineer, show me a tested circuit and I will believe.

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

I think it is fair to say that without wordclock input on your transport you aren't going to add it. As far as I can tell it has never been done.

I have found some Pro Audio transports with word clock input but they were several thousand dollars, also there are a few consumer level transports in the $5k to $10k range with wordclock input.

You raise a good point. So basicallly are you saying with no clock word input in either your transport or soundcard that the implementation is a moot point?

I am not sure about soundcards but there's very few consumer tranports that have it and those which do usually cost a lot of money.

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 24
I was thinking of getting the Hammerfall HDSP 9632 sound card with the word clock module for moderately cheap (~$250-$300). Any thoughts?

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I was thinking of getting the Hammerfall HDSP 9632 sound card with the word clock module for moderately cheap (~$250-$300). Any thoughts?

I had wanted to get that but liudas from lessloss say it isnt worth the price due to its relatively high jitter they've found.

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok

For that price I think it's definately worth a shot. My EMU-0404 just bit the dust in a nasty storm, so I guess that means I'm in the market for an upgrade as well
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig
I had wanted to get that but liudas from lessloss say it isnt worth the price due to its relatively high jitter they've found.

Liudas definitely knows his stuff.

Hmm. Wonder what other choices there are for a nice minimal-jitter, word clock I/O sound card for <$300. I'd love to get the Squeezebox modified, but nobody does word clock I/O mods (not too sure if it's even possible).

The Transporter is too expensive if I'm only going to be using it as transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back