Storm Audio D02 vs other dac??
Jul 5, 2006 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bimmer116

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

First of all I am a long time reader but have just recently started posting due to the quest for a DAC (I hate this site sometimes...
wink.gif
). I was originally considering the zhaolu D2 but decided to buy another DAC for the sake of comparison since my friend had already purchased a CS4398 unit.

Recently I purchased a VDA-1+VAC combo which I love with both my headphone setup and the speaker rig.
wink.gif
However, as I read through the Storm Audio DAC thread the other day (before it was removed?) I became very interested in the elegantly designed DAC. I was also interested in the abiliy to use battery power, since clean power is important to all electronic equipments. Sooo the big question is, is there any D02 owner that can suggest whether or not I should ditch the VDA combo right now for the storm dac??

Thanks,

Mike

Jul 5, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 17
Can't answer from personal experience, but one person on here has owned the following: Ack Dack 2.0, Benchmark Silver DAC-1, Jadis JS-3 DAC, CIAudio VDA-1/VAC-1 and is now using the D02. Can't help other than that though, sorry.

Look for a local with other DAC(s) to compare.

Edit: !!! I've just been told by a local friend with the Zhalou D2 that I can borrow it for comparison. I expect my Storm D02 to arrive in the next few days (1 week at worst). So I will definitely post a review/comparo something detailed!

Jul 5, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 17
thanks for the reply rincewind!!
tongue.gif
anybody else?

Jul 6, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 17
Where are all the D02 owners? I just want to read some impressions comparing the D02 with other DAC preferably the VDA-1 but any DAC is fine. Anyone?
confused.gif

Jul 9, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 17
get the lessloss..... their contact us support is phenomenal... they reply their mails faster than i write them. Morever, you are making a major contribtion to the whole head-fi community coz i dont think many ppl have those, so your review will be definitely sought-after. The only problem is the price but recent us dollar hike shld help. Don't ask me how it sounds like, ive nv heard it b4, thats y im encouraging u to buy.
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 17
theres nothing that I don't like about the vda-1 combo, infact I like them alot. Just wanted to see how they differ from the other dac.
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 17
Take a look at the Stello DA100 but it is listed at $750 IIRC.

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 17
My DAC upgrade pattern went like this:

iPod => Onkyo SE-90 PCI => Channel Islands VDA-1/VAC-1 => Benchmark DAC-1 => upgraded Ack Dack 2.0 => Storm D02

I firmly believe that each upgrade was better than the last.

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
My DAC upgrade pattern went like this:

iPod => Onkyo SE-90 PCI => Channel Islands VDA-1/VAC-1 => Benchmark DAC-1 => upgraded Ack Dack 2.0 => Storm D02

I firmly believe that each upgrade was better than the last.

This is the kind of post I like! Thank you for your honest opinion, I think I am in the market for a D01/D03 when they come out or even a used D02. If you have any new info on these goodies please keep us/me updated as you have been doing with the Storm threads all along. Much thanks!

Jul 12, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #12 of 17
Thanks for the replies everybody, I think I am gonna keep my VDA-1 combo for a while since it still is a good sounding unit. Too busy with work and school for now to even enjoy my dac, time to rerip my cds to a better format. BUUT, I think the D02 will be mine by the end of summer!! ha ha

Keep enjoying your musics

Mike
580smile.gif
3000smile.gif
lambda.gif
rs1smile.gif
600smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind
Good luck buddy! Only 30 or so sold worldwide thus far. You might be waiting a while.

one on the forums yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back