stores with good exchange policy? (+ advice please)
Feb 23, 2007 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rkidmike

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm came across this amazing forum when I started researching headphones. I've been reading for a few days now, but basically I need to listen to some headphones to see what I like. I'm looking to upgrade from my KSC-35's (which I like) and Koss plugs with modded tips (which are not so great). I want to get IEM's for portable listeing and isolation while I study. My source is a Creative Zen Vision:M.

Maybe I'm catching the head-fi bug, but even though I'm new to higher end audio I was thinking about going beyond the entry level UEM's. So I'm considering the ER-4p, the E4c, the Super.fi 5 pro, and the UM1. I don't have a lot of experience with audio, but I think I would like something that is accurate, pretty much neutral, and not fatiguing (btw - can someone explain what makes sound fatiguing? I've experienced it but don't understand it). However, since I haven't developed my ears to really appreciate good sound, is it worth it for me? I prefer quality rather than just the cheapest available, but will I be able to appreciate it? Or should I go down to entry level models like ER-6, E2c, and super.fi 3? Also, portability and price is big for me, so I'd prefer not to amp or get a small/cheap cmoy.

Also, this is probably the most important question. How can I try out different IEM's? No one I know has these headphones, and the best way I could think of trying them is to buy them and return them if I don't like them. But most stores don't allow trying on IEM's and don't accept returns without a restocking fee. Can someone please recommend a retailer that would allow me to return or exchange IEM's? Being a student, this is a big purchase for me and I'd like to feel like I got the best phones for me. Plus, comfort seems to be an issue with IEM's. I read Headroom's return policy and it seems perfect if it's true, but they don't carry Etymotic anymore. Amazon has slightly lower prices than Headrooms, but no returns on IEM's (I called and asked).

Thanks so much for this great board and your help.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

I read Headroom's return policy and it seems perfect if it's true

It is true (and it's also why they almost always get my business even if they're not the rock-bottom lowest price.)

But I guess that doesn't help you if you want to try out Etymotic products (I wonder why Headroom dropped the Etymotic line?) One thing you can do is try to use reviews here to narrow down your choice so you have the best chance of hitting it right the first time, but if that fails you can probably sell a near-new product at not too much of a loss and then move on. Not ideal but we've all been there... most of us many times...
etysmile.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is true (and it's also why they almost always get my business even if they're not the rock-bottom lowest price.)

But I guess that doesn't help you if you want to try out Etymotic products (I wonder why Headroom dropped the Etymotic line?) One thing you can do is try to use reviews here to narrow down your choice so you have the best chance of hitting it right the first time, but if that fails you can probably sell a near-new product at not too much of a loss and then move on. Not ideal but we've all been there... most of us many times...
etysmile.gif

Ety is switching over to distributors now, which is raising the price for Ety's by quite a bit. I would definatly say that HeadRoom has the best return & exchange policy I have ever seen.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 4
I am relatively new to headphones, but have spent many years listening to recorded music (i.e., through speakers). Hearing is an acquired skill and I am doubtful that you would fully appreciate high-end headphones in the way that a person who has spent years listening through headphones would. Its a process. Also, you likely do not have the auxilliary equipment to fully utilize headphones that are beyond a certain level. Having said that, I think you will likely hear a substantial improvement from upgrading your Koss phones. I would suggest that you upgrade those first, because they will be easier to exchange and you will learn more about what you subjectively prefer. This you can use later to make a better decision about IEMs. IMHO its not just about learning what you already like, its also about expanding your sense of hearing. Whatever you do, enjoy it. If the excursion into higher fidelity feels like just another problem in search of a solution, then it may not be a very rewarding trip. You will make mistakes, but hopefully your enjoyment of listening to music will still increase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back