Store replaced broken Sennheiser ie8's with ie80's should I send them back?
Apr 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FinnishSpartan

New Head-Fier
My Sennheiseer IE 8's recently broke and I sent them back to the store to get them fixed. surprisingly I was sent a factory sealed package of the IE 80's. Now I would like to know if I should sent the  IE80's and demand the IE 8's that I had in return. I loved my IE 8's alot and they outbested my Sennheiser HD 800's in pretty much all trance/techno songs. I loved listening to Infected Mushroom with them and it felt as if IM and the IE 8's were married to each other. Im wondering if I will get the same or better results with the IE 80's or will it be a completely new sound experience? One I may like or dislike. If I open the box I cant return the headphones anymore due to Finlands retarted consumer rights. I dont know anyone who owms the ie 8's either so I can't test them out.

** Sorry for any typos, typed this on my phone.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 6
i say try them out, as they are the updated version of the IE8.

read reviews comparing the 2 and then make your decision.

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 6
Okay, so I took these things out of the box after spending an hour reading the "IE 80" impressions thread. I came to the conclusion that maybe I will give it a shot, and boy it was a great idea! These things sounded amazing right from the first beat, I remember the first time I got my IE 8's and felt as if I was robbed and wanted to take the earphones back to the store. However burn in time made a major difference and they started sounding awesome. I can't wait what the IE80's will sound like after burn in!

I'm not going to go too much into depth with my impression until I've burned in my headphones. But one thing that has certainly been fixed with these IEM's is the soundstage while having bass. With some heavy hitting songs the mids and the highs were just flooded by the bass and "ruined" the entire soundstage, personally I liked the overpowering bass. However with the IE 80's it seems as if the bass is almost identical (bit less though) however it will not choke the other sounds with it.

The clarity is considerably better and the headphones sound a bit (a very little tiny bit) more like speakers compared to the IE8's, as if the sound is not coming through the earphones themselves but from an external audio source.

The IE80's bass is still lacking compared to the IE8's, with the IE80's it's alot tighter and faster, so I don't receive that "subwoofer" feeling I had before which is a little dissapointing. However the IE8's so far still sound like the better option for me to listen to heavy hitting bass songs with constant bass. A good example of this would be "Siearra Leone - dubstep" whilst I myself don't really listen to dubstep but trance/techno/dance songs, I use the Sierra Leone track to test out bass frequencis since the whole song is pretty darn low. The IE80's just simply cannot match the IE8's with the bass reproduction in these types of songs. However my opinion may change towards the burn-in. Others may like it the other way around though...

I have the nozzle turned up for maximum bass as I had with my IE8's, and I would say that the IE80's sound like the IE8's with a few notches pushed down. It feels as if you could ump ap the bass more, but you hit the limit with the IE80's. However this did bring a few rewarding things like the better overall sound quality.

These are just my opinions, taste in audio performance may differ from person to person. I like to listen to alot of classical music, however I use my HD800's for that which are superb. But when it comes to trance/techno/dance, I won't be leaving anywhere without my IE80's. On the go without amping I use the Sennheiser HD380's for classical music.

Still having the problems with the IE80's not fitting snugly in my ears. They will fit and stay on as long as I don't go out for a walk (not to mention a jog), I have to re-adjust the earphones every 50 meters of walking or so...

I'll post this on the Impressions thread too... Just thought it would be nice here as well if someone finds this, maybe it will help.

** Thanks for your comment randomkid! Really motivated me to look up more info on these and try them out.

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 6
Lets hope you grow to love them as much as the IE8

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 6
Glad you opened the box and now enjoy the IE80. I have been trying to fault the IE80 but couldn't find any so far. 

The phones just sound genuine, experienced, reliable and confident to my music. Sorry if I used the wrong terms.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back