Stopping the booze
Apr 15, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
However, my mom did concede that if I were to lose my mind and get drunk, but had the sense to call a parent to pick me up, I might not end up dead
biggrin.gif

Just beaten so badly that the Passion of the Christ would be G rated.
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 8:26 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
Mr. PD, hence, not the note, 'with parents like mine'. It has been made quite clear to me that if I ever were to come home drunk, I'd be pretty much dead. However, my mom did concede that if I were to lose my mind and get drunk, but had the sense to call a parent to pick me up, I might not end up dead
biggrin.gif

(-:Stephonovich:)

Nothing beats great parents. Sounds like that's what you have.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #33 of 48
Yeah, I'd much rather have over-protective than non-caring parents. Sometimes I may not think so, (for instance, getting yelled at for being 45 minutes late getting home from a concert that's taking place 5 FREAKING MILES FROM OUR HOUSE...) but in the long run, it's better this way.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 16, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #34 of 48
Mike,

Sorry to get in on this thread so late - I have been away for a couple of days.

That's one hell of a post you have made. It must have taken some serious courage to come out in the forum. I used to do some serious drinking when I was in the Navy - looking back it is hard to believe the drink I (and others) used to put away and think it was normal. I left in 1986 and to tell the truth I hardly drink much nowadays - the last time I fell out of my tree was about 5 years ago. I guess I was lucky to be young and a binge drinker - I couldn't handle it nowadays.

I can't admit to knowing what kicking the booze is like, but I gave up smoking on 1 April 1980 and I still fancy a cigarette. I guess this shows that once you take the first step in quitting, you have to stick with it because the addiction never leaves you, but you can choose to control it by using all the willpower you have.

I know it can't be easy, and a number of the guys have made some useful suggestions for you. I for one will be rooting for you. Tough it out Mike

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #35 of 48
Hey PinkFloyd!
How's it going there?
I just want to say hi and let you know I haven't forgotten you.

Have you been staying sober?

Drop in and let us know what you think now.

Apr 17, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #36 of 48
mike,

lose the valium. seriously. i went down that road last year and ended up in the hospital with $20,000+ medical bills.

valium is a benzodiazepine drug, like xanax and ambien (and many other drugs). the instance of addiction is very high (especially for addicts), and the withdrawal is very long (try months!) and is a living hell that makes alcoholism look like a trip to disneyland.

many treatment centers have stopped taking patients with benzo addiction, because of the prolonged withdrawal, that includes grief and crying that literally lasts for days at a time, and shakes and full seizures that can break bones (which happened to me). this goes on for weeks and weeks without letup. you will pray for death. i'd rather go through herion withdrawal then benzo withdrawal again. actually, i'd rather be dead than go through that living hell.

i wish you the best of luck getting off alcohol too. but please, please stop the valium, at all costs!

-edit-
don't stop the valium cold turkey. taper the dose under a doctor's supervision. cold turkey will give you the worst of the withdrawal and is NOT the way to go.

Apr 17, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #37 of 48
Alcoholism and addictions are a symptom of problems. They are not the problems in and of themselves.

Please seek professional help. Everyone here means well but they are no alternative to the help of trained professionals.

You can do anything if you chose but trying to go it alone is a prescription for failure.

One Day at a Time.

Mitch

Apr 17, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
Alcoholism and addictions are a symptom of problems. They are not the problems in and of themselves.

Mitch

I am sure this is well intended, but I must strongly disagree. Alcoholism and other addictions are perhaps initially symptoms of other problems, but they are always problems in and of themselves. Actually, when an addiction progresses, the brain architecture changes profoundly, and as an independent pathology it begins to dwarf and dominate all other psychological and psychiatric factors. Psychiatrists in the past who failed to see this because of the prevailing theories at the time (principally dynamic) unwittingly were complicit in the deaths of many people. They were doing the best they honestly could, but they were wrong. Fortunately there is a wealth of experience available today regarding substance abuse problems and their treatment, and Mitch is absolutely right to advocate getting help from someone (or better yet, some treatment center) with the appropriate professional experience.

But there are many more important things to say on this topic. It is one in which I have deep personal experience. Mike, I'll be back later after I gather my thoughts. You have gotten some good advice here (particularly the suggestions about AA), and a lot of sincere concern. Combined with your honest declaration of your problem, it is a good start.

Oh, and ignore anyone who tells you to abruptly go off Valium. While detoxing you should follow your doctor's advice. Unless someone here both has a medical degree and recklessly feels they can dispense appropriate care to a patient they haven't examined (and in a public forum, nonetheless), please refrain from such foolish suggestions.

Apr 17, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Oh, and ignore anyone who tells you to abruptly go off Valium. While detoxing you should follow your doctor's advice. Unless someone here both has a medical degree and recklessly feels they can dispense appropriate care to a patient they haven't examined (and in a public forum, nonetheless), please refrain from such foolish suggestions.

i hope that wasn't directed at me. i suggested he do a doctor supervised taper. but he needs to stop the valium. for an addict benzos are the worst. i know from personal experience.

Apr 17, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Welly Wu
Yeah. I should have mentioned that too. Getting professional help is nothing to be ashamed of. It works if you work at it.

Heh, sure its true, but wait until you get in argument with someone and they decide to bring that up and use it to beat you down with. It happens, its happened to me before. Its easy to say "professional help" is nothing to be ashamed of but people are often like children, sometimes they are just stupidly cruel.

I gotta say saying this in public takes guts, because there are idiots out there who will use it against you...

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
i hope that wasn't directed at me. i suggested he do a doctor supervised taper. but he needs to stop the valium. for an addict benzos are the worst. i know from personal experience.

Well, I'm afraid it was in part, but after reading your post and particularly your edit more closely, I see very unjustly so. Sincere apologies are in order and I hope will be accepted.

Your overall comments about benzodiazapine addiction and withdrawal are exactly what others have told me - a shudder comes over them even many years later when they begin to think about the detox. Your post was attempting to be helpful, and I am sorry if my response to it was hurtful.

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by dabeststax
Heh, sure its true, but wait until you get in argument with someone and they decide to bring that up and use it to beat you down with. It happens, its happened to me before. Its easy to say "professional help" is nothing to be ashamed of but people are often like children, sometimes they are just stupidly cruel.

I gotta say saying this in public takes guts, because there are idiots out there who will use it against you...

I have learned to apply my signature in my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back