Stoke me! SR325i on the way!
Feb 14, 2009 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Sodacose

100+ Head-Fier
Just got a SR325i for $200 after a thread I'd posted about matches for the Starving Student reminded me how much I miss my SR80's. They are enroute currently.

So what am I going to notice coming from my current workhorses HD555 and super.fi 5 pro? Is it going to make the zipper on my jeans magnetize?

I can't wait to start rocking and then wondering and then looking for a 'complimentary' phone!

Stoke me!

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 16
Congrats on that price! I personally find the 325i too bright to listen to extensively (SR225 i where my ears draw the line), but different strokes for different folks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Which reminds me: At first, I thought your thread title said "Stroke Me!"
tongue.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 16
Congrats on a great price. I just picked up a used pair of RS-1s and I am really enjoying the Grado sound.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 16
The 325is are great. If maybe the brightest (not unpleasantly to me) of the Grados, they still retain all the Grado magic (good bass, very very musical, nothing beats them when reproducing electric guitars). A very natural progression from the SR80 (and SR60).

You need to let us know if you get the new silver version or the older gold version.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobber65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 325is are great. If maybe the brightest (not unpleasantly to me) of the Grados, they still retain all the Grado magic (good bass, very very musical, nothing beats them when reproducing electric guitars). You need to let us know if you get the new silver version of the older golden version.

According to the eBay ad, they are a couple years old. They are fully burned in though. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I kind of want to hear them develop: from screeching infant to awkward toddler to hormonal adolescent...

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 16
Congrats on a great price....I've never heard this model Grado but I do love the RS-1 and the GS1K...ahh it all started with the sr60s. Let us know what you think of 'em.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 16
You should start preparing by rubbing 80 grit sandpaper on your ears.
evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

I'm really amazed at how much my 325i grew on me. At first they were uncomfortable and they sounded...odd. I used them infrequently for about 4 months, slowly getting used to them. Mine now have 400+ hours as a rough guess.

These days I change between bowls, flats and comfies and they all work for me. Either my 325i did some serious burn-in or my ears/brain did because now they work great for me.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 16
Honestly I don't find the 325is all that bright, but the only think I have to compare them to are the A700s. Also, I don't tend to listen to music very loud (except for metal).

I love everything about them.

Also, they do respond very well to custom EQ. I actually give the highs a little tiny boost for listening at low volume.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 16
Seriously, does anyone really want to relive their hormonal adolescent years again? The 325is would probably sit in a corner and glare at you with practiced but subtle angst until you give in and buy them a nice shiny new amp (which isn't necessary, but hey, all its friends have one...).

I have enjoyed spending time with mine and seeing how they have developed, but all the same, since they only improve with age, you'll get a jumpstart on some quality listening. Enjoy!

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #13 of 16
You will have a more pronounced midrange and more realistic bass compared to the UEs. Generally speaking, even for Grados, the soundstage and feeling of openness of fullsize are going to be much larger than for universal fit IEMs. I enjoy my UEs, but except for my Turbines, nothing approaches the Grado sound in an IEM.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #14 of 16
When I listened to HD-555s and my 325is virtually back to back, the HD-555s sounded like someone threw a wet comforter over the band. It was very strange. This was just out of an iphone though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I listened to HD-555s and my 325is virtually back to back, the HD-555s sounded like someone threw a wet comforter over the band. It was very strange. This was just out of an iphone though, so take it with a grain of salt.

I kind of get that impression of them. There's an ok soundstage, but to pun on the idea of soundstage, it's like watching a play on tv. They seem distant. I also feel like there's a bit of grittiness to the sound that gets irksome with some genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back