Stockhausen Info for Orpheus
May 10, 2003 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
Quoth Orpheus: "scrypt, which Stockhausen is this? there seems to be many with this name. any CD in particular?"

*Karlheinz* Stockhausen, Orpheus. The best recordings are the ones on his record label, which he offers on his personal web site (http://www.stockhausen.org/). Kontakte, Gesang der Jugend and Mikrophonie I are early electronic masterpieces. You can sometimes find vintage LPs of his electronic music (even the 2-LP set Hymnen) on DGG, which were the best recordings of his music from that time.

I recommend his early non-electronic pieces as well, such as Kreuzspiel, Zeitmasse, Kontrapuntke, Zyklus and Klavierstucke I-XIV.

If you google about on the web, you might find an amusing interview with Stockhausen in which a naive reporter played the composer a few recordings by Richie Hawtin and Aphex Twin in hopes of getting some IDM-positive intellectual validation from the world's most credible living source. No surprise to me that Stockhausen hated *all* techno, for the simple reason that he hates repetition of any kind. He says amusingly insulting things about Hawtin (two of whose albums, _Consumed_ and _Closer to the Edit_, I happen to like).

You might want to look up other interviews with KS here: http://www.stockhausen.org/stockhausen_texts.html A lot of people on Head-fi might enjoy Bjork's interview with Stockhausen, which is linked to that page.

An important 90s documentary that shows extensively Stockhausen's influence on modern dance-derived music such as dub and techno is Modulations, which is now out on DVD and which you should be able to find for around $14.00 if your library doesn't have it to borrow on DVD *or* VHS.

In a way, I'm the ultimate nostalgist for mentioning Stockhausen because his was literally the first music I ever heard: My mother owned a copy of Gesang der Jugend on DGG. I still own her copy and have played it so often that the music can no longer be heard above the scratches. After that, I was pelted with more common childhood fare, like Peter and the Wolf. Strange, that I happened to mention Prokofiev and Stockhausen in the context of nostalgia. The reference was unconscious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back