Stock up on Shure black foams NOW...
Mar 26, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 29
I think Shure just tumbled to the fact that everyone loves them.

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 29
I am not sure I need more. I am still on my first pair...

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Shure just tumbled to the fact that everyone loves them.

Yep, plus the fact that they last a long, long time...Shure probably thought they are too cheap as it would take 1-2 years to get the customer back for more, whereas the same amount of money would have flown in within 6 months with the yellow foams.

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 29
These are the first replacement sleeves I've purchased for my ER-6i since I stole the medium pair of grey flexsleeves from the fit kit I bought for my unlamented E5c. And that was like two months after I acquired the ER-6i.

The flex sleeves are dead now (hence the replacement) as a large tear developed in the body of one of them, preventing a seal from forming. Getting the olives to seal is a bit trickier than the gray sleeves, but the comfort is hugely increased and they don't muddy up the sound at all (while the grey ones did).

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a ripoff. People should complain to Shure about this. As if $15 for some bits of shaped foam wasn't highway robbery to begin with, this is just absurd.

hmmmm that's an interesting comment and the first which strays away from general consensus that the black foams are the cheapest foams available as they last a long, long time. No other foam out there lasts for over 6 weeks (i.e. comply tips) and the shure black foams last about 6 months per pair and can be wiped down with a damp paper towel.

So, even though $20/5 pairs is not too bad, its even better at $14/5 pairs at idealsound.
cool.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 29
Even if they are the "cheapest foams available", that doesn't change the fact that less than a couple dollars worth of foam is a ripoff at $15 and a bigger ripoff at $20. An increase of 33% is just price gouging, plain and simple. There's no justifiable reason for Shure to do it, they just do it because they can.

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 29
I just got mine today, and found out that once stretched onto my sf3's they were too big for my ears, and I snapped the cable on my driver trying to take the foams off. Sigh, not a good start for the foamies.

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 29
Yeah i can't believe poeple didn't think 15$ was a total rip for foam tips. As if making a huge profit off so-so headphones wasn't good enough, they try to rip you with expensive tips. And now $20??? Obviously it's not only Shure, but it's more of a reason to not the company.

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #11 of 29
Anyone here actually replace their black olive tips because they use it too much? I'm just wondering how long do they last?

And about the stretching them to fit on UE, do you remove the stupid plastic from the middle?

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a ripoff. People should complain to Shure about this. As if $15 for some bits of shaped foam wasn't highway robbery to begin with, this is just absurd.

If you are really serious about that, why don't you start a boycott campaign of Shure over a $5 difference; that would be far more effective than complaint letters. The power is in your hands as the consumer.

I personally think it's justified for them to increase the price. If they're selling a lot of the black foamies, it makes sense to increase the price to get more profit. It's a responsibility to the investors/stock holders to make more profit. On the other hand if people started boycotting (... a slim chance) Shure products, they might lower the prices.

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #13 of 29
Consumable parts like these are almost always sold at an obscene markup. I'm not surprised, nor am I especially upset because I expect this sort of behavior from companies.

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #14 of 29
This doesn't surprise me.

Company makes a product and retails it at an already "too high" price.

Company sells a lot of them.

Company gets greedy and starts charging people 33% more when it should cost 33% of the price in the first place.

BTW, Sorry to kind of go off topic, but anyone have large that needs medium, because I need large, and these mediums are too small. I was just about to buy some, but after seeing this, nevermind.

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #15 of 29
The black foamies are the best tips out there, but 20 bucks for 5 pairs is a god damn ripoff. 2 bucks for a single tip? Id be surprised if they cost a nickel each to make. Nice goin Shure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back