Stock Foamies W/ ER6i
Mar 25, 2007 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gbadude

New Head-Fier
I've had my ER6i for about two weekish now. And I love using the foamies. They isolate better and are a lot more comofortable than the flanges. Problem is that they're becoming, umm I guess marshmellowy? I don't know how to describe it. But when I first took them out of the box, they were kind of hard, and when I would roll them up, they held their shape much better than they do now. I could insert them into my ears, and have them expand. But now after I roll them up, they expand much faster than before, and I have a difficult time inserting them into my canal before they expand. Now they kind of expand right as I insert them so I feel like I'm not getting the right isolation. Has anyone experienced this also? Where can I get some better set of foamies? Thank you!

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by radioactive28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's time to buy new foams, they're not meant to be used forever. The rubber tip can be washed, but foamies have to be replaced 'cos they lose their 'foaminess'.

How often do you change your foamies?

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 12
Foamy "life span" depends on how often you use them, the type of foams, etc. If you've noticed them "changing," it's probably time to change them -- the price you pay for using the foamies. I prefer the foamies, though, and recommend you try the short Comply foams (since you'll have to pay for replacement foams, anyway).

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How often do you change your foamies?

Whenever I squeeze them and think, "Eww..."
etysmile.gif

I clean my ears out everyday, so they last about a week to two before "Eww..."

I also noticed the foams lose isolation effectiveness over time. When they fail to block out noise, it's a sign, but that takes quite long (about a month [yes, I was that lazy to change them at one point in time]).

You have a few choices of foams:
- the yellow foams in S, M and L (cheap, requires replacement)
- the complys in long and short (more comfortable, not cheap, requires replacement)
- the Shure olives (like complys, but washable and reusable, not sure about cost)

I'm currently on short complys, but they take a bit of effort to put onto the 6i. When the local distributor brings the Shure olives in, I'm going to get a pair to try.

Mar 26, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by radioactive28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whenever I squeeze them and think, "Eww..."
etysmile.gif

I clean my ears out everyday, so they last about a week to two before "Eww..."

I also noticed the foams lose isolation effectiveness over time. When they fail to block out noise, it's a sign, but that takes quite long (about a month [yes, I was that lazy to change them at one point in time]).

You have a few choices of foams:
- the yellow foams in S, M and L (cheap, requires replacement)
- the complys in long and short (more comfortable, not cheap, requires replacement)
- the Shure olives (like complys, but washable and reusable, not sure about cost)

I'm currently on short complys, but they take a bit of effort to put onto the 6i. When the local distributor brings the Shure olives in, I'm going to get a pair to try.

Damn it seems like it's pretty expensive to use foamies/complys all the time.
frown.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 12
Yep, hurts the wallet pretty bad. Your other options are to go back to the rubbers, or take the plunge with custom sleeves/eartips.

I'm still hesitating on the UM56s 'cos they cost the equivalent of 8 to 10 months of complys at the rate I'm going. In terms of yellow foamies, that would translate to about 2+ years' worth.

Well, there's still the Shure olives.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 12
I've been using the stock foamies for a long time now. Their texture becomes softer but it still seals well. I also don't have much earwax. I'll probably only replace them if they stop sealing.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 12
"where is the best place to get them?"

Try some of the Head-Fi sponsors -- EarphoneSolutions or the Westone online store, for example. The Comply's are not inexpensive, but if they enhance your listening comfort and enjoyment, you might consider them worth the price (for me, the Complys make for an entirely different listening and wearing experience from the flanges ... so for me, it's worth it, but your mileage may vary).

And perhaps the new Shure foams will be an option for you -- they're still new, and I don't know much about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back