Stock Denon D5000 or AT W5000 ?
May 7, 2008 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

aleman

New Head-Fier
Looking for a closed HP for office use, mainly listen to classical(piano,violin, cello) and a bit of classic rock at times.

I curently use the Triple-Fi but find them very uncomfortable for extended use and they repeatedly fall off from time to time, tried all the tips.

When I use K701 I get too many wierd looks from collegues and the sound leakage does not help either, have outgrown the Ety 4-P/S and Sony MDR-V6, what do you guys recommend ?

For amplification, I have an X-Can V3, Creative XFI-Notebook, GoVibe-V6, have ordered a 2MOVE should be getting in a couple weeks ... I am hoping to mainly use my closed HP with 2MOVE and leave the other stuff behind at home.

Also i dont intend on getting my HP's moddded, as I prefer to have my warranty just in case so markl mods etc are not an option ...

May 7, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 27
I don't know your amps so can't comment on how the finicky W5000s will sound, but aside from the isolation issue, I wouldn't expect to get better looks from your co-workers with the ATs. That loop of wire is pretty large.
cool.gif

May 7, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 27
At this point was leaning a bit towards the D5000 unless I have a reason to go with the W5000, I agree with you on the W5000 looks part[hoping they are a bit smaller], and may not stand out as much as a k701.

Since D5000/W5000 are closed, was also hoping to "disguise" the wood finish by carefully covering the wood finish with some black/dark cloth taped on carefully, this should not impact sound quality as these are closed cans.

Are the W5000 finicky about amps .. ?

May 7, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by aleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At this point was leaning a bit towards the D5000 unless I have a reason to go with the W5000, I agree with you on the W5000 looks part[hoping they are a bit smaller], and may not stand out as much as a k701.

Since D5000/W5000 are closed, was also hoping to "disguise" the wood finish by carefully covering the wood finish with some black/dark cloth taped on carefully, this should not impact sound quality as these are closed cans.

Why on earth would you want to cover up the beautiful wood finish with some black tape??

Just curious...

May 7, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by aleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The wood of the W5000's is ebony and a satin finish, in most lighting you wouldn't immediately notice it's wood even, it's very dark.

They're sensitive and very easy to drive loud, being low impedance they demand an amplifier that can supply a large current supply to sound their best, but you could conceivably listen to them straight out of an iPod.

edit: You know, I think you're more likely to get strange looks wearing headphones with scraps of cloth "taped" to them. These are big headphones too, there's no disguising them as millenery.

May 7, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 27
How about the ATH-ESW9? Closed, ATH woody and much more office friendly in terms of size. There is a review by anthonyfirst comparing it with the Triple.fi, that may help you put its sound in perspective.

The W5000 is quite finicky by all accounts here, both in terms of amp and in terms of fit on the head. I didn't get a good seal and the bottom end was lacking in the music. Some folks love them, maybe you might be one of lucky ones who gets a good fit.
The Denon 5000 is a nice headphone, very comfortable and energetic sound. It does have quite a bit of bass however which may not be your thing.

May 7, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 27
Interesting dint know that D2000 and D5000 used the "same" driver, I was thinking they just had "simmilar specs", now realize that they are identicle except for the cable and the wood earcups.

Given my needs I guess D2000 with cable mods may be just fine, just curiuou, has anybody done direct head-to-head A-B comaprisons between:

D2000<->D5000
D5000<->W5000

I am very curious about W5000 since they are AT's flagship, and they have been in this business for a while, unlike Denon who have been a recent entrant and may end up tweaking there offerings.

Mark'ls modding page was very informative, I guess the Denon guys could learn a thing or two from this
wink.gif

May 7, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 27
never tried it with XCan V3, but with my Corda Opera, and RSA Raptor, W5000 presents sound differently. not the bad word, both combo sound great but it depends on one's favor.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 27
Skylab did a direct comparison between the D2000 and D5000 last year when they first came out. IIRC there was a difference, but probably not as much as you would expect given the price difference.
I own the D5000 and have heard the W5000 in a brief audition last year. My vote would go for the D5000. You don't seem to listen to bass-heavy music so I don't think the D5000's bass would sound overbearing. I think they work quite decently with classical.

May 7, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 27
Most people say the difference between D2000 and D5000 is very small. Headphoneaddict has said he prefers his APS recables D2000 over the D5000, so most of the sonic difference might be just from the cable.

There's also the Markl mod, which among other things covers the cups with Dynamant. This *might* make the wood cups' effect on the sound null, since the sound is reverberating off the dynamat, and not the wood. Not sure, though. It sounds plausible, though
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 27
Go with the Denons. I have both W5000 and D5000. The both sound fantastic but I think the Denons are more versatile and can handle rock better than ATs. The bass can be too much but usually just when the music is bass heavy. It doesnt sound like the case for you. The ATs are truly special but they come off a little bright for my ears.

The Denons are incredibly comfortable (the best I have ever tried), the ATs less so and the fit can be troublesome, although I suspect it gets better with extended wear. The Denons look very nice but are more inconspicuous than the ATs.

I have never spent time with D2000 but usually I include upgraditis in my decision making and would lean toward the top of the line.

May 7, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go with the Denons. I have both W5000 and D5000. The both sound fantastic but I think the Denons are more versatile and can handle rock better than ATs. The bass can be too much but usually just when the music is bass heavy. It doesnt sound like the case for you. The ATs are truly special but they come off a little bright for my ears.

The Denons are incredibly comfortable (the best I have ever tried), the ATs less so and the fit can be troublesome, although I suspect it gets better with extended wear. The Denons look very nice but are more inconspicuous than the ATs.

I have never spent time with D2000 but usually I include upgraditis in my decision making and would lean toward the top of the line.

Gu, or anyone else out there, How much brighter is the W5000 than the D5000? I've never heard the W5000, but was under the assumption that it wasn't really that bright, only a bit lean and bass shy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back