Sting is named worst Lyricist of all time
Oct 15, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #46 of 62
i don't know about worst lyricist, but i think it's tough to deny that Sting hasn't written a decent song since "Synchronicity, Pt. 2."

Oct 15, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I nominate Beck. Not hatin', just think his lyrics are stupid.

I don't think that's fair; the purpose of a lot of Beck's music is more for enjoyment of the beat/melody, not really the lyrics in front of it. And Beck can churn out a gem when he really wants to.

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't know about worst lyricist, but i think it's tough to deny that Sting hasn't written a decent song since "Synchronicity, Pt. 2."

Ten Summoner's Tales is a pretty decent album IMO, and perhaps the best out of Sting's solo catalog. Sacred Love, however, sounded really wretched. The man may have a bunch of stinkers, but it's unfair to rank him as "worst lyricist" when he wrote nearly all of the classic, memorable and catchy hooks during his Police days.

Obviously a pointless and opinionated article from Blender Magazine. For god's sakes, they ranked Britney's Baby Hit Me One More Time in the top 10 of the "Top 500 Songs Since You Were Born" list.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I nominate Beck. Not hatin', just think his lyrics are stupid.

I think that's the point at which Beck was going for anyway. Cut-and-paste samples, unintelligible and hilariously drunken lyrics, and slacker attitude.

Not that I listen for enlightening and moving lyrics from a Beck song, it's all in good fun and he doesn't take himself seriously.

Oct 15, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

i don't know about worst lyricist, but i think it's tough to deny that Sting hasn't written a song I've liked since "Synchronicity, Pt. 2."

There, I fixed it.

Oct 15, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonolithTMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There, I fixed it.

dude, i'm trying to defend the guy... as best i can.
plainface.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #53 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's unfair to put Jon Anderson, us Yes fans love his stuff. It seems this list is just trying to be 'cool' all alternative lyricists aren't 'normal' enough to make it. If they actually did some research on Anderson's alternative spiritual learnings they would see that all religions, different as they are, are unified, it's very interesting.

Put the Flower Kings guy there instead, a similar slant, definitely fun to hear but IMO ridiculous, while technically 'bad' we wouldn't have it any other way.

I don't know, I'm a huge Yes fan (see my user name, lol) and I still think Jon Anderson's lyrics are whacky.

A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace,
And rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace,
And achieve it all with music that came quickly from afar,
Then taste the fruit of man recorded losing all against the hour.

What?

I’ll be the round about
the words will make you out ’n’ out
you change the day your way
call it morning driving thru the sound and in and out the valley

Huh?

AWAKEN SUNS HIGH STREAMS THRU AWAKEN GENTLE STRONG DREAMS REIGN HERE
GENTLE MASS .)(. MASS TOUCH STAR, SONG, AGE, LESS TOUCHING

Come again?

Dawn of light lying between a silence and sold sources,
Chased amid fusions of wonder, in moments hardly seen forgotten,
Coloured in pastures of chance dancing leaves cast spells of challenge,
Amused but real in thought, we fled from the sea whole.
Dawn of thought transfered through moments of days underseaarching earth
Revelaing corridors of time provoking memories, disjointed but with purpose,

Definitely disjointed, but with purpose?

Lol.

I still love the music (and Jon's singing).

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #54 of 62
Quote:

I wouldn't say that. "Nothing Like The Sun" and "The Soul Cages" were great albums.

I thought some of the lyrics were excellently written as well ("They Dance Alone", "The Wild Wild Sea", "Fragile").

Admittedly I haven't purchased any Sting album since "Soul Cages" based on the songs that made radio play, lol.

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #55 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relayer71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say that. "Nothing Like The Sun" and "The Soul Cages" were great albums.

I thought some of the lyrics were excellently written as well ("They Dance Alone", "The Wild Wild Sea", "Fragile").

Admittedly I haven't purchased any Sting album since "Soul Cages" based on the songs that made radio play, lol.

Like most artists, the radio releases tend to be the worst.The most popular Police song is my least favorite; Every Breath You Take, I like the bridge, but that's about it.

My two least favorite albums from Sting are Mercury Falling, though it has a few gems on it, and Sacred Love, which also has a few gems. My favorites are Dream of The Blue Turtles, ...Nothing Like The Sun, Soul Cages, and Brand New Day. I really like some of the tracks on Ten Summoner's Tales, but it would come in as my 3rd least favorite.

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #57 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it a fair assumption that the entire genre of rap is excluded?

No, "I got my drink and my two step" is brilliance in context.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonolithTMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm no Neil Diamond fan. I'm kind of indifferent to him, but while those lyrics are ambiguous as to the subject, I wouldn't say they were generic and I definitely don't see how you can infer that he's singing praise about himself?

Reading those lyrics actually made me curious about the song, and the DVD, which I just ordered from the library.

Just my opinion.

Well, that's true. I guess the image of him in The Last Waltz (very full of himself) skewed my impression of the lyrics.

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #59 of 62
Sting? No way. There's MANY worse, both well-known and not-so-well-known. I don't want to think about pretty much any metal band from the last 20 years.

One guy who always kind of disappointed me with his lyrics (not to mention singing), because he's so on top of his game otherwise, is Joe Satriani. When he decided to pick up a mic a few albums ago (was it Flying in a Blue Dream?) I didn't care for it too much. I would have liked to hear him work with a better lyricist, and vocalist.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #60 of 62
One of my first jobs in the film business was for a film editor who said his strangest task was blooping out the white boulder in Neil Diamond's nose in Last Waltz. Apparently, it was pretty obvious as the camera zoomed in, so he had the job of painting it out frame by frame on the negative. Maybe they'll call him back to touch it up for the hidef release!

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back