Stillpoints ESS Rack
Sep 14, 2008 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

shaizada

500+ Head-Fier
Guys,

I have a chance to purchase a 4 shelf Stillpoints ESS Rack (not the one on audiogon right now) which is actually brand new. Does anyone have any experiences to share about it?

I have been using Symposium, Mapleshade, Argent Dark Matter and Sistrum platforms to absolutely great effect. I feel I want to move to a high quality rack now but would love to hear some experiences first.

The rack is about $4100.

Here is a link:
http://www.stillpoints.us/ess_rack.html

Regards,
Gaurav

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys,

I have a chance to purchase a 4 shelf Stillpoints ESS Rack (not the one on audiogon right now) which is actually brand new. Does anyone have any experiences to share about it?

I have been using Symposium, Mapleshade, Argent Dark Matter and Sistrum platforms to absolutely great effect. I feel I want to move to a high quality rack now but would love to hear some experiences first.

The rack is about $4100.

Here is a link:
ess rack

Regards,
Gaurav

At that price I would expect and demand Blind test evidence that the rack performs better than a handful of IKEA tables
icon10.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 13
I know exactly what you're saying. However, high quality shelves have really made my system shine and tuned to my listening preferences. I really enjoy how the system responds to even the slightest changes in the listening environment.

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Guys,

The rack is about $4100.

Here is a link:
ess rack

Regards,
Gaurav

they are extremely well made, paul is a great guy, and they 'sound' very good. it will be a little less 'lively' than the sistrum stuff, but i think, more tonally balanced across the spectrum. it is very dymanic and detailed without being analytic. i say go for it!!!!!!

hope that helps.

yes, i have heard one.

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for making my life harder!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm in the process of negotiating the selling terms with the dealer. I think I'm going to go for it.

Please, keep the thoughts rolling in. They do help.

The thing is that I'm quite settled on all my components and cables and don't anticipate any changes there. The only thing that REALLY needs to be addressed is the isolation by means of a rack, so this is quite a significant purchase for me. Hopefully, it doesn't throw off my system as I've worked really hard to keep it balanced throughout.

I guess we'll see what happens. The dealer doesn't really take anything back so there isn't any real trial period per se. Oh well...will just have to go through instinct and rely on comments from people who have heard it.

Thanks so much!

~G

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At that price I would expect and demand Blind test evidence that the rack performs better than a handful of IKEA tables
icon10.gif

IMO, $4,100 is a lot of money. Wouldn't it be better spent on better gear? I would think that an upgrade of your gear would yield a bigger improvement in sound than a new rack.
wink_face.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

I guess we'll see what happens. The dealer doesn't really take anything back so there isn't any real trial period per se. Oh well...will just have to go through instinct and rely on comments from people who have heard it.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I would not be saying "I guess we'll see what happens" before a $4100 purchase that can't be returned. You should be 110% sure about this thing, especially since there are no returns. If you do not like it, you will certainly lose some serious dough trying to resell it.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 13
I have no experience with this rack. However, I would upgrade my source before putting in that kind of dough for a rack.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 13
I find it extremely interesting that you find my Reimyo source is NOT up to your standards. I'm actually EXTREMELY happy with it and chose it over some much more expensive sources (EMM Labs, dCS, Esoteric).

Anyhow, I am at a very peaceful state with my gear. Hec, I heard a $500,000 system at a local audio demo room and came away unimpressed.

My point is that I'm VERY VERY happy with the "sound" of my system as I've reached a level of contentment that I've been seeking for quite a while.

On another note, I will most likely be picking up the rack tonight. I fly out to Phoenix for a week and won't get a chance to listen to it till next weekend.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys! I appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 13
Hey, you asked for our thoughts!
smily_headphones1.gif
I never said that the Reimyo was not up to any standards. However, for my system and my preferences, I would not buy a rack (or cables, or power conditioners) that is close to 1X, or 0.5X the value of my sources. Just my opinion though.
Enjoy the rack! And please report back on your experience.

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 13
Actually, I take that back, reading your OP, you asked for opinions on actual usage of the rack. I have none to contribute!
Cheers, and please enjoy the rack.

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #12 of 13
Ok update
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not going for a brand new one as originally planned. I'm going for a slightly used one with brand new shelves. It's a significant discount and much more attractive at its price point.

If I end up liking the rack (I've been assured I will by talking to a few more owners), I'll keep it and my shelves that I free up can go for sale.

If I sell all my shelves, I'll be in a much better shape price wise in this whole endeavour.

CD44hi, you have some very impressive sources in your profile
smily_headphones1.gif
Haven't "heard" them per se, but those are some big names.

Regards,
G

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 13
Ok, rack has been paid for. My friend should be picking it up tomorrow sometime as I'll be out of town for the week.

I'll chime back in with experiences etc.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back