Still need a high-end amp? If Stello DA220MKII => portable amp => high-end headphone
Apr 13, 2009 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

alexdemaet

1000+ Head-Fier
Sorry for the title, I haven't figured a decent one yet.

Since I sold a HeadRoom Home amp and all of my big phones to go for a speaker rig. I do miss a headphone rig.
Now I only have left a portable rig (SR80 with iMod and Corda Move amp).

I would like to know if I connect a big headphone (e.g., GS 1000 ) to "Stello DA220MKII => portable amp", would I benefit from the same sonics as with "Stello DA220MKII => high-end amp"? Or does the portable amp limit the sonics?

In short: would I need to buy a better amp then the portable amp to gain audio improvements? I believe I will have to.

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read # 2

Thanks for the info. I do believe I will need a decent amp. I have a high-end dac and source but still missing a decent amp.
The portable amp will limit the audio improvement coming from the source.

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 7
yup
smile.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 7
If I wouldn't have a limited budget then wouldn't mind buying a Grado ps1000 and a high-end amp.

With a limited budget, I will have to decide to go for :
a) don't buy an amp (for later) and buy a Grado PS1000
b) buy a decent amp and a headpone between $300 and $600 USD

I believe I will go for a headpone like the Ps1000 and save for a decent amp.

Would the combo "Stello DA220MKII => portable amp => Grado Ps1000" be decent?

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Not many can give you a definite answer about which amps will synergise well with the PS1000 because of the simple fact that not enough people have them yet.

Assuming PS1000 is as picky with system pairing as GS1000, option A might be a hit or miss thing. If the PS1000 likes (or is at least decently listenable with) your DA220+Move (I'm assuming this is the portable amp you're going to use) then good for you. If not, you basically have a high end headphone collecting dust until you find an amp that will make it sing.

Option B would be slightly safer, and you can try the headphones/amps/pairing that you are interested in. Money spent would be safer I guess, and if you buy used your dollar will go even further. Don't think any PS1000 will come on the FS forums anytime soon.
tongue.gif
Well, the bad thing about this is, you won't be owning the current in-production top of the line Grado can if that bothers you.

Personally, even though I've not heard the PS1000 (well, few have) I would go for option B easily. I've had enough bad experiences of buying things that I've not tried.

Of course, you could just wait for the PS1000 to be released and see if they were worth the hype (to you of course).

I've not heard the PS1000 so my opinion might mean nought, but hope this helps.

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexdemaet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info. I do believe I will need a decent amp. I have a high-end dac and source but still missing a decent amp.
The portable amp will limit the audio improvement coming from the source.

I bought a Benchmark Dac1 from here, it has 2 headphone out's
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I will be able to do some headphone sessions like in the old days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back