Still my favorite bass solo
Jan 29, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 14
My favorite too
icon10.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 14
Nice. Very sweet how he approached the last note, I haven't seen that one before.

Jan 30, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 14
That's good technique, very obviously, but he doesn't get much chance to break out and do his own thing in the song that he's stuck inside. On two of the three vids available, he is basically stuck playing loops most of the time. Not a slam against Claypool, he's obviously got great rhythm and groove, but Victor Wooten does things in his solo that I didn't know were possible with a bass until I saw that video. The way he can play both melodic and rhythmic lines at the same time is amazing.

The Awakening, second vid on google video for claypool is really good, he got a chance to break out of the loop machine.

Jan 30, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
The way he can play both melodic and rhythmic lines at the same time is amazing.

That's incredible technique. Those flageolet notes are pretty tough to begin with but he's doing it an incredible speed and even mixing it with rhythmic elements. Too bad that section was rather short.

Jan 30, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 14
You might want to check out this earlier solo bass CD that Wooten put out, if you're interested in his playing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...music&v=glance
I'm pissed that I can't find my copy. A good thing I dumped it on my computer before I misplaced it.

Marcus Miller, who played bass for Miles Davis pioneered some of this funk/slap/pop stuff that the hot bassists use today, could check him out too. But Wooten's still the only one I know of who enjoys playing bass/rhythm/melody - at the same time.

Jan 30, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 14
WOW. That was very cool and impressive. Thanks for the link.

Jan 30, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

The Awakening, second vid on google video for claypool is really good, he got a chance to break out of the loop machine.

Just found this today. Can't say it's my favorite, but it is one of the most amazing uses of a sample loop unit that I've ever heard:
http://www.basslobster.com/videos/MichaelManring.html

Quote:

Marcus Miller, who played bass for Miles Davis pioneered some of this funk/slap/pop stuff that the hot bassists use today

Louis Johnson, who's played with Quincy Jones, Bobby Womack, Aretha Franklin, George Benson, Michael Jackson (and many others) pioneered some the funk/slap/pop stuff that inspired young 'uns like Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten:
http://www.basslobster.com/videos/louis.html

...and for all the Wooten/Patitucci/Prestia/Manring/Burbridge fans, check this one out:
http://www.basslobster.com/videos/BassDay98BassJam.html

Note: these files are enormous...but they're worth the wait!

Jan 30, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #11 of 14
Yea, I have the DVD that solo's on.

It's on: Béla Fleck & the Flecktones - Live At The Quick

And I watch the DVD regularly just to see that solo!
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 14
Thanks for the links. Yes, I know, lots of bassists before the current cream.

I have wooten's bass day 98 showing on dvd. I may pick up some more later. I have the Live at the Quick dvd as well. It's really good except for the surround sound which is really annoying.

Jan 30, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Yes, I know, lots of bassists before the current cream.

tongue.gif
Quote:

I have wooten's bass day 98 showing on dvd.

Cool. Is that worth getting? What else is on it?

Jan 30, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #14 of 14
IMO, it's not worth it for the performance because he's come a long way since '98, but he does give a lesson on the picking technique he and his brother brought to the forefront. If you are interested in technical aspects of playing, then yes it is definitely worth the buy. He shows how he can get a standard 4 notes out of each cycle of his wrist with a thumb pick down, thumb pick up, then two plucks with his index and middle and then it's just practice practice practice, different variations, meters, etc.

For the music, Bela Fleck Live at the Quick is a much better buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back