Still loving my $79 SCL4s!
Feb 28, 2009 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hyperreal

New Head-Fier
I was lucky enough to pick up the last pair of SCL4s that Guitar Center had in the district around where I live (Des Moines, IA). It took me a while to figure out which tips worked best and I actually ended up not using any of the Shure tips, but rather a pair of the Etymotic large double-flange tips. I have a question for those who own them: does it seem that sometimes the soundstage ends up being much higher in your head than with other headphones or even some IEMs? It isn't anything that would discourage me from using these phones, but it is noticeable. I've been trying to figure out if it is a fit issue. Getting silicone tips to fit properly (especially very sticky ones) is a finicky process. I always listen to pink noise to make sure the response is matching in both channels and also to make sure the center image is, in fact, in the center. Then I check with a few low frequency test tones to make sure they're not leaking in any way, but sometimes even after this process I'll find that the soundstage will be quite high up in my head. Anybody know what this is all about?

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 5
It's probably not a good chance that you'll find them, but I think Guitar Center was the only one who still had it going and it was supposed to end today. Sorry to shatter your dreams.....

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 5
I never noticed a "higher" soundstage with my E4c. I notice they are sensitive to the recording in terms of the soundstage I get with them; my UEs tend to have a wider soundstage (lots of theories around this) when compared to any of the Shures (or Etys).

Any direct comparison to your Ety in terms of soundstage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back