Still in love with my Sennheiser HD590
Jun 22, 2005 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

mariowar

500+ Head-Fier
Yes, it's been a long time since I bought them and still love them. I' tried several headphones, the last ones were the Beyers DT880, I just returned them, they were just a little bit brighter, with less bass, and less 3D soundstage due to their semiopen nature.
The synergy between the HD590 (Equinox cable) and the Xp7 (AD797 op amps) is AWESOME.

Any other Hd590's lovers out there? I know, that here ( not too many headfiers rave about this cans).

Take a look to my review, and please express your opinions as well.

http://www.headphonereviews.org/head...e89b56622f0fb1

Jun 22, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 30
I bought some for my gf because she wanted open cans that would sound good without an amp and had lots of detail and extension. Coupled with the good deal on refurbs at amazon a while back (still going?), the 590 seemed like a natural choice. I wasn't prepared to like them as much as I do- they're really involving (but not too fatiguing) phones and so comfortable. My only experience with the 580/6x0 series that gets so much more attention here was at the one meet I've been to, but I have some recabled 580s arriving today and I intend to do a comparitive review (also including my ER-4s).

Jun 22, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 30
I had the 590s but sold them and then whent through a bunch of other headphones only to come back to the 590s once again. I think this is my third pair of 590s. LOL. I also like the stock cable with them. I really like the bass that the 590s have and the comfort is A-1. If one bought lots of other headphones one would find most of them to be bass shy compaired to the 590.

Now the 590 is not the end all headphone but sure is a very fun headphone like the portapro is but with a much bigger sound and sound stage. So you have my vote for the 590.

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 30
590's have their flaws, most of them having to do with the cable. Given the cost of cable replacement, they're no longer cost efficient next to the 595's which have no such flaws. Hence the major outpouring of hate on these cans. I've personally stopped recommending them as new purchases because of this.

However, they're still very good cans, and recabled, they'll give 595's a run for their money and beat them in many specific instances. They've got oodles of bass, excellent soundstage, good treble detail and extension, and most of all, they have a forward, aggressive sound signature that no other Sennheiser has. They're the only cans out of the "bionetic" Sennheiser era that are worth their salt.

Too bad they have a bad rep. It's not entirely undeserved, but it's overblown. IMO the DT770 has the same faults as the 590, but to a greater degree. But you don't hear people bashing it, do you?
rolleyes.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 30
Ah, it's so good to see this come up from time to time. A big hug for the 590s!

I have an Equinox cable for mine, and when I really want to get those deep bass notes, it is to these I turn! My wife loves to listen to latin jazz with them... really gets those toes tapping.

These were my first set of headphones (before I discovered head-fi and broke the bank!). I now have about 6-7 other headphones, with more "respect" on here than the 590s, but I ofte pick up the 590s and really enjoy them.

Let's hear it for the 590s!

Jun 22, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 30
There's nothing wrong with the stock cable on the 590s. My cable
underwent major shredding under the leg of a steel chair, and
never shorted out at all. I bought a replacement cable from Senn
for 8 bucks, but I tried it out and figured I would wait and see
if the shredded cable ever shorts out. The shredded cable is
back on the cans and it still works great.

The 590s are a lot of bang for the buck. Since they don't require
amping, and the stock cable is so good, they work out to be
much cheaper than others in the Senn line. No other headphone
is more comfortable and less fatiguing to wear for long periods
of time.

See ya
Steve

Jun 22, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 30
Ltucci, is knowing that you are a Grado lover, we could confirm that the HD590 are the only Sennheiser headphones that resemble the Grado sound do to their in your face approach that contrasts with the common laid back sound of this brand, right?

Momerath, I used to have the HD580s , they have similar soundstage, 3D, but they sound a little muffled compared to the HD590's, they sound like if you cover the drivers with something. For very bright recordings or classical music they are excellent, otherwise, I stick with the HD590.

Catscratch, you don't need the Equinox cable to make them sound better, just get Canare cable ( about $6), the plugs, solder, and that's it. To be honest I don't notice the difference between the Canare cable and the Equinox. See, even the difference between this cans with the stock cable compared to the Equinox is not substantial to everyone (my wife.....).

Kiwirugby, your wife is right !!!!, I enjoy them also listening to jazz, I love the sounstage and the 3D effect.

Bigshot, I agree you just forget you have them on, which is a HUGE plus.

Jun 23, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 30
Here's another shout out for the 590's!! I use mine with the Equinox cable which I personally think is much better than the stock cable. However, even with the stock cable these are great sounding cans. Good deep, detailed bass and good treble extension. The only fault I really find is that the upper mids (vocals mainly) sometimes sound a little recessed. Also, they are detailed enough to really make a mediocre recording sound very mediocre and a bad recording sound aweful. But a really well recorded piece of music sounds spectacular. With the recent price reductions these really have to be considered one of the best bangs for the buck among all headphones.

eggosmile.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #9 of 30
"Recessed upper mids" and "a more forward sound" are opposites. If the upper mids are recessed, the sound will be "laid back", not "more aggressive".

If the balance is good on well recorded music, odds are the cans are close to correct. If an unbalanced poor recording sounds better on another set of phones, that's because those cans are unbalanced in the opposite direction of the recording.

The 590s are balanced. With them, balanced recordings sound balanced and unbalanced ones sound unbalanced. Tone controls and equalizers are a more flexible way to correct mediocre or poor recordings than choosing cans to suit them.

See ya
Steve

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 30
Mektarus , the HD590 has no recessed mids, it is just that with SOME recordings there is a little sibilance ("sss") in voices. That's why I ordered the Beyers DT880, and I found out that sometimes that sibilance was not heard in the Beyers. The problem was that I found some sibilance as well in the Beyers that I did not find on the Senns. So I think that most of the impressions about headphones are linked to different recordings that might sound right with an specific pair of cans.
There are not perfect cans, we just have to evaluate them considering the pros and cons, and the music and the sound performance that better suit our needs.
I really love the Senns the 3D and the soundstage, that's wider than the Beyers, I love the deep and excellent bass, the good mids and the detailed highs of the HD590. I hate bassless headphones because I tend to turn the volume way up hoping that I will get to the point where I will get the bass that I want.....so it's just dangerous.
Bigshot, I completely agree with you.

Jun 23, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #13 of 30
I used to have the Grados Sr325, and never, ever could listened for more than 40 minutes. With the Senns HD590 I can listen for over 5 hours in a row. They are not fatiguing at all.

Jun 23, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 30
HD-590 is a good headphone, just that ppl in this forum tend to like the 5X5 better for some reason.

Jun 23, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mariowar
I used to have the Grados Sr325, and never, ever could listened for more than 40 minutes. With the Senns HD590 I can listen for over 5 hours in a row. They are not fatiguing at all.

Thanks.

jerryg, I think I'm skipping over the 5x5 because I can get the 590s new for about the same as 555. More love for the 590s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back