Still deciding on an Amp for my 555s
Feb 15, 2005 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ropeadope

100+ Head-Fier
I'm still deciding on an amp, deciding which one i might buy, or if i even want one at all
tongue.gif
- I feel like i need to just make up my mind and get it all over with. Though i still can't help but feel i'm going to be unsatisfied with whatever i get, especially having an Audigy 2 ZS as the main source. I always feel bad spending lots of money for one thing too :/

Should i just dive in and maybe buy this?. Would that be good for me? Is it worth $150?

Just another guy looking for amp advice i guess
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ropeadope
I'm still deciding on an amp, deciding which one i might buy, or if i even want one at all
tongue.gif
- I feel like i need to just make up my mind and get it all over with. Though i still can't help but feel i'm going to be unsatisfied with whatever i get, especially having an Audigy 2 ZS as the main source. I always feel bad spending lots of money for one thing too :/

Should i just dive in and maybe buy this?. Would that be good for me? Is it worth $150?

Just another guy looking for amp advice i guess
wink.gif

Also have a HD555 but I have a Chaintech/Headroom Airhead and iPod 4G. I think you might want to spend some money upgrading the sound card first before getting an amp. Even a Chaintech with Cmoy (<$100) with probably sound better than just Audigy 2 ZS with any amp.

HD555 is relatively efficient. You are not going to get that much by buying an amp with a poor source.

Feb 16, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 9
Yes, amplification will help you considerably, even on an Audigy 2 ZS. The ZS does have its flaws, but that doesn't change the fact that amplification will noticeably improve the sound of the HD555s. The very first thing I thought when I listened to my HD555s through a Pimeta out of my ZS was "Why the hell did I wait so long to get an amp?" To be honest, I'd have trouble using the 555's without an amp anymore. They are relatively efficient, but to use them to their potential, they must be amped, period. Thus, I think adding an amp should definitely be a priority. Later on, you can upgrade your source to an EMU 0404 or such (also a worthwhile upgrade).

Feb 16, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 9
Well, i feel kinda dumb buying an amp because one of the main reasons i bought these phones is because i heard they weren't amp dependent, which i don't doubt. Though i'm still looking for a little something extra.

How much did your amp cost NightRaven? Also, what are the specs, if you don't mind.

Feb 16, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 9
They don't require an amp to sound pretty good, but if the potential is there, I think it's smart to take advantage of it. My amp I bought used for $150. It's a Headsave Ultra II (pimeta-based, AD8620). If you'd like, I can PM you the detailed specs. I don't think its necessary to get an amp just like mine to get the results I did though. There are a number of amps in the $100-$200 range that would probably be good for starting out.

Also, don't let elevated expectations get the best of you. While an amp will add detail, definition, and impact to the sound, they aren't wonder-devices. Have reasonable expectations, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Feb 17, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 9
I think i'll keep this sound card because i play a lot of games on here. What else might i look at though? I don't think it's impossible to have two sound cards in there at once.

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 9
The only two amps I've tried with the HD555 were the headsave go-vibe and the headsave ultra. The go-vibe really didn't do anything for the 555s at all. However, the synergy with the ultra was great. I've also heard that the presonus hp4 is pretty good with the 555s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back