STILL confused about which DAC+AMP to get after doing research and more research
Jan 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

davidvanderbilt

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am looking to upgrade from my portable Ibasso D4 mamba i have been using at work. I'm looking to purchase a good DAC and seperate amp, or a DAC+AMP combo. I would prefer the amp+dac be under 700 but if need be i can stretch more. Here are my ideas so far, and any advice on which is more "bang for my buck" or better than others would be greatly appreciated:

Dac Magic Plus
Dac Magic + Schiit Asgard
Xonar Essence One
AudioLab M-DAC
Schiit Bifrost + Asgard
Yulong D100 (with or without Asgard)

If anyone has compared any of these, or has a link to comparisons i would definitely appreciate it! I don't want to spend a lot, but if there is a significan't difference in sound quality between say the Audiolab M-DAC vs Dac Magic Plus, then i might have to :)

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 15
http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/warranty-returns/

Schiit Audio has a 15 day satisfaction guarantee.  You can listen to your Schiit Audio products for 15 days, evaluate before making a decision to keep or return.  
-  You do pay for the shipping fees and they subtract 5% from your refund, but you get it back.  That's much better than what other companies offer.

Give it a go.  Trust your own ears, then you can find out if it's $700 worthy upgrade over your well liked, reputable iBasso DAC/Amp!  It may be love at first hear and you won't wonder about any other products and be 100% satisfied!

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #5 of 15
Hey, just checking, what headphones are you using? In general though, I would go for a Bifrost>Asgard/Lyr depending on headphone to stick within your budget. However, if you can afford to push your budget, a Audiolab M-dac would offer a big improvement, especially when paired with say a littldot mk6+ with some tube rolling. However, that set-up will run you about 1.5k before recabling (assuming your headphones are not balanced currently)

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 15
Sorry for the delayed response! I am using HD 598's right now - I prefer a really warm sound with rolled off treble and decent bass - punchy. I just purchased a Schiit Asgard (using my D4 as a stand alone Dac) , but the bass/midrange isn't enough for me using the HD 598's, so i will most likely be returning it. Now I don't know WHAT to do.

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 15
Don't buy amps because you want to change your sound signature. Stick to a neutral amp and get a different pair of headphones. If you like warmth, you might want to try the HD600 or HD650. The iBasso D4 should be able to drive them both.

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks - I was thinking that same thing actually. However, I have had both the Hd 600 and Hd 650s and I definitely didn't enjoy them through my D4. Something was lacking - I just really dont think the D4 did them justice.

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Hey, just checking, what headphones are you using? In general though, I would go for a Bifrost>Asgard/Lyr depending on headphone to stick within your budget. However, if you can afford to push your budget, a Audiolab M-dac would offer a big improvement, especially when paired with say a littldot mk6+ with some tube rolling. However, that set-up will run you about 1.5k before recabling (assuming your headphones are not balanced currently)

I second that . Audiolab M-Dac is amazing if you could sketch your budget further . 
I am pairing it with Violectric HPA-V200 and couldn't be more happier .

Now running in the M-Dac and going thru' the instruction manual. there's several digital Filter selection but I just don't know which is better. 
currently on Optimize transience  mode.

Cheers. 
Raymond Lim 

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
I second that . Audiolab M-Dac is amazing if you could sketch your budget further . 
I am pairing it with Violectric HPA-V200 and couldn't be more happier .

Now running in the M-Dac and going thru' the instruction manual. there's several digital Filter selection but I just don't know which is better. 
currently on Optimize transience  mode.

Cheers. 
Raymond Lim 

x3!
I am currently only amping it with a SR-71B and am wondering if my LCD2r2 (having read that it doesn't scale upwards very much) would benefit considerably if I were to join the V200 party.... Nonetheless, the MDAC allows me to enjoy my music much more than before.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 15
Thanks for your suggestions! I think i forgot to mention a crucial aspect of the DAC - I will be using primarily USB connection through my labtop at work. I know there are usb to spdif converters, but then you get into the whole realm of comparing those and I would rather have good usb implimentation built into the DAC.

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 15
 Currently I am considering the Yulong D100 (using DAC section only) , Audio GD 2.1 or 3.1, and Arcam Rdac - judging by the reviews, it seems that it would be reccomended to get a  a Spdif to USB converter for the Audio GD, but the Yulong D100 has great usb implimentation. Since I am going to be purchasing the headphone amp seperately, the DAC doesn't need to have a headphone amp.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 15
If you stretch a bit further, you can get a used Benchmark DAC-1 USB.  

I think the HRT Music Streamer II and II+ sound very good though.  They're asynchronous USB Dacs and will leave you a good chunk of money to spend on a dedicated amp.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:

x3!
I am currently only amping it with a SR-71B and am wondering if my LCD2r2 (having read that it doesn't scale upwards very much) would benefit considerably if I were to join the V200 party.... Nonetheless, the MDAC allows me to enjoy my music much more than before.

I 'm using the LCD-2, V200 combo with the W4S DAC-2.  

http://www.head-fi.org/products/violectric-hpa-v200/reviews/5331

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
I 'm using the LCD-2, V200 combo with the W4S DAC-2.  

http://www.head-fi.org/products/violectric-hpa-v200/reviews/5331

Sweet combo WA! Ok I'll do it! I hope to find a nice 2nd hand 220v one! Wish me luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back