Sticky Request - SD/Micro SD/sdhc Card format simple guide.
Jul 13, 2010 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
well, im still surprised that there is no sticky for this, so i thought i would at least give my two cents on the subject

Sometimes people run into problems with their new SD cards.  Windows Vista is notorious for having a low IQ and being unable to understand things windows 95 did without much of a problem.  I ran into a problem getting my pc to recognize my micro sdhc cards.  So this is just a basic guide to getting things fixed.

When I inserted my 16gb micro sdhc card into my new sansa fuze and plugged into my pc, it said my card was only 32kb large.  Thats far less than 1mb.  Now, I've used this sdhc card for some time and know it to work just fine.  My old sansa fuze finally bit the bullet after 3 yrs of heavy usage.  Its a formatting problem.

If your pc has trouble reading your card, the following steps will help you. 

Step 1:

If you have a write protection locker on your card, make sure its not in the locked position.

Step 2.

Check to see if your brand of SD card has any drivers and download them

Step 3.

Download the HP USB DISK STORAGE format tool.  Google that and try to avoid the beta versions if there are currently any.  This formating tool is the best I've ever used, there are also other brands like Panasonics version that just aren't as reliable.  The HP formatter works 100% of the time for me.

Step 4.

On your device, if the card is being used inside of something else to add memory, make sure the device is in the correct mode.  Sometimes it can be MTP or MSC.  Do not leave it in auto detect, test every mode to see which one is correct.

Step 5.  

Plug your device into your computer and wait.  The first box to appear will always be the actual device.  For example, when I plug my Sansa Fuze mp3 player into my pc, i get a box that pops up with its drive letter as L.   A short time later, the micro sdhc card box will appear with M as its drive letter.  Here is lay the problem at times.  People can be impatient, or the sd card window is behind the device window.  It's a common issue.  Beyond that, there have been times where the main device window pops on instantly, but the sdcard window takes upward of 60 seconds.  Be patient and wait a little while to see, take it out and plug it in again using a different mode setting on your device.

Step 6

Run the HP USB format tool.  In the DEVICE drop down box you will be given a list of all the things plugged into your pc.  Make sure you know which one is the Device ( your phone, mp3 player, ect ect )  and which one is your sd card.  They will be different.

Note:  you can check to make sure in MY COMPUTER.  If your device is plugged in, it will show up there and take note of the drive letter it is using. 

Larger sd cards will require the file system to be set to FAT32.  As an example, my 16gb micro sd must be set to fat32 for the format to work correctly.  

Quick format option is up to you but i advise against it.  Leave it unchecked unless someone in support specifies otherwise.  Nothing needs to be checked in the window.  Enable compression, create a dos, and quick format should be unchecked and everything below should be greyed out leaving you unable to click on anything.

from here, press OKAY and the format will begin.  It could take a while so be patient.  

IF ALL OF THE ABOVE FAILS and your card is not recognized with the correct storage amount, Im sorry but you have a fake sd card.  Try to avoid Ebay purchases from normal users and stick to power sellers who have lots of great feeback on their sd card sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back