Stickers on Electronics
Sep 16, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 29
I take em off... I don't know how people can stand them. Honestly, I don't get why manufacturers even put them on their devices. I can understand putting them on display models, but the actual cameras and laptops? Who cares at that point anyway?

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #19 of 29
Seems to me that the people who leave the stickers on think they are supposed to be leave them alone, like.. it's reminding the owner of the features the 'kickass' device they bought has? *shrug*

especially annoying when its an older device and the corners of the stickers are collecting dirt or starting to peel on their own, I just want to walk right up and tear them off myself!
mad.gif

I love ingwe's idea about covering logos and such.

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #21 of 29
I don't like dealing with the sticky gum left behind. I know I could use goo-be-gone or something, but then it smells like a petroleum product.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #22 of 29
Yes indeed, those nasty stickers all get removed. Price tags as well as 'features' stickers. Not only electronics, but books, CDs and so on. Few times a book cover or CD case has come a cropper, but they've all got to go.

Perversely though, I do tend to leave protective film on laptop and LCD screens, or add one if necessary.

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #23 of 29
I also hate when people leave those stickers on. Nevertheless, I do have the two small intel and windows stickers on my laptop. They are small enough to not be too offensive, and they are the type of stickers that are suppose to be more permanent.

I can't stand people leaving the stickers on screens. You may as well just leave the device in it's bubble wrap and try to use it through that too...

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #24 of 29
I pretty much always take this kind of stuff off. I hate advertisements.

On my laptop though I still have the "Intel Centrino Duo" and "Designed for Windows XP, Windows Vista Capable" stickers. I have tried to get them off, but they are on so firmly that it breaks my fingernails. Scared to scrape them off with a screwdriver or something since I don't want to damage the laptop.
frown.gif

oh well.

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stickers on electronics is annoying, sure. but what about the people who leave the stickers and tags on their hats? Bugs me so much.

nice one, those sizing stickers on hats are so dumb. A joke I heard once from a guy is that he leaves the stickers on in case anyone wants to buy him a gift, they will already know his hat size
rolleyes.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #28 of 29
I almost invariably try to remove any kind of unneccessary ornamentation from my equipment to the extent that it's feasible.

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #29 of 29
The stickers bug the heck out of me so I always remove them. Last year when my mom got a new laptop and wanted me to help her set it up, I just about went crazy when I saw all the stickers on it. I started to remove them, and then she got upset. She actually LIKES them on there. Can't understand it, but I'm guessing she just likes colorful things.

As for getting them off cleanly without residue, grab a lighter. I always keep a Bic lighter with my tools for things like this. Just pass the flame around the sticker a few times to heat up the glue. It won't burn or damage the surface underneath unless you just let it sit there, so keep it moving. After about 30 seconds or so, go to peel the sticker up. The heating the glue softens its bond and it usually pulls up cleanly. I suppose you could also use heatgun for this if you have one, but I don't so I can't say for sure.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back