Stick with iriver HP-140????
Jul 19, 2008 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

snootles

Head-Fier
Hi,

I need some advice. I currently have an iriver HP-140 40gb player with rockbox. It's still in fine working order but want something with more capacity. Should I get the Ipod Classic 80gb or will I be disappointed coming from the iriver? I live in the UK and can't yet get the Zune 80 at a reasonable price.

What do you think?

Cheers

Si

Jul 19, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 17
just stick with it.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 17
X2 stick with it. I had the IRiver, and unfortunately it eventually died. I got an Ipod Classic, but think the IRiver is superior sound wise.

Jul 19, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 17
I still love my I-River H-140 even though it is an unsightly brick next to more modern offerings. Actually I have two of them--one just sitting in the box against the possibility that the first one dies. Until someone comes out with a modern DAP with digital-out, I'm not going anywhere.

BTW, I think you can mod the unit to update to a larger capacity hard drive. I've never investigated it personally but I do recall seeing people talk about this in the past.

Jul 20, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 17
X3 stick with it!Iriver H140 sounds great!
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 17
sell the H140 to me, so i can mod it to a 60gig and not worry about running out of room on my H130
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 17
I love my iRiver IHP-120, primarily for the digital out. I find it to bulky to haul when I travel, so I use it mainly to run to my home amp now. I just put 15 GB of my favorite FLAC/ALAC on it. Works great in that setup as I don't have to turn on a TV to switch tracks. Also, I don't like taking the IHP it out of the house as I'm paranoid about losing it.

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 17
I think the digital-out is a master-stroke.

Shame iRiver stopped making them. Really makes playing Lossless portably much more worthwhile.

Why 40GBs is a bit of a low capacity really. Only about 120 albums in FLAC.

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why 40GBs is a bit of a low capacity really. Only about 120 albums in FLAC.

40GB was a monster when the thing first hit the market. These days you can get 40GB in a wrist watch.

I can't figure out why nobody makes a modern DAP to fill this obvious market niche. Do the DRM police really have enough influence to totally block new production of this technology? It doesn't make sense to me. After all, laptops often have digital-out and they aren't that much bigger than DAPs. Baffling.
frown.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 17
Can't complain, as you say, back in the day 40GBs was huge. I had a 40GB Zen Touch.

Thing is I had mp3s on it, say an album might be 100MBs[quite high bitrate], thats probably 380 albums...i.e. plenty.

I can only imagine that digital-out is not wanted by many. No Audiophiles working at iRiver anymore.

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PooJou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sell the H140 to me, so i can mod it to a 60gig and not worry about running out of room on my H130
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a 140. If you're interested, PM me.

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 17
iRiver created overnight cult classic by upgrading iHP1xx to flashy colour screen iHP3xx series with sad omission of digital out.

There is absolutely no comparison in SQ from line/HP out compared to digital out to external DAC (iBasso D1 in my case).

I have two of them, Rockboxed of course (and sourcing third as backup) and I'm sure not letting them go for no money, unless some manufacturer will stick digital out in their DAP.

What stopping manufacturers is beyond me, these digital interfaces are cheap. DRM? That's rubbish, look just how many laptops have digital out?

OK, 40G is not that much memory nowadays, but it still holds decent amount of music (mostly Ogg Vorbis Q9, LAME VBR320 and occasional FLAC).

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #14 of 17
Cheers everyone for your input!

I'm definitley going to keep it. I a/b'ed it with the IPOD Classic and it walks all over it for SQ. There really is no comparison. The classic sounded lifeless compared.

Anybody kow where I can get a larger drive, maybe 60gb to put in it in the UK?

Now my next purchase is going to be the D2 for on-the-go use? Is that the best option for a walkabout player or is there something better? SQ is my main concern.

Thanks all

Si

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #15 of 17
I wish the current craze o small amp/dacs included optical, then my iriver would come out of its drawer. Cmon Justin and Ray, Pico/Predator with optical!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back