Steve Wilson side projects...which ones?
Mar 12, 2006 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
All ive got now is "In Absentia" and "Deadwing" and saying I love these albums is an understatement.
Im now on a mission to buy everything hes ever done.
So what to get now?
Options:
No Man?
Blackfield?
or,
another PT album? (which one?)

Theres so much...No Man sounds killer-I love the atmospheric, spacey, PF type music. I hear Blackfield is amazing but the songs look a bit short.

Mar 13, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 7
You guys kidding me?
I thought id have 20 responses by now!
Yeah, i know, too many PT threads...
confused.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 7
4 essential releases for you to buy based on your new-found love of all things Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson:

1. Porcupine Tree - Up The Downstair [2005 digipak remix/remaster]
2. Porcupine Tree - Signify [digipak remaster]
3. Blackfield - Blackfield (don't worry about the 2cd version unless it's the same price - the second disc is rubbish IMO)
4. No-Man - Together We're Stranger

You may also want to get yourself over to the PT forum. It is independently run, and is very friendly and civilised. There are plenty of useful threads that will give you great ideas of the stuff PT fans listen to / would recommend.

Mar 13, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Floodedstatue
4 essential releases for you to buy based on your new-found love of all things Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson:

1. Porcupine Tree - Up The Downstair [2005 digipak remix/remaster]
2. Porcupine Tree - Signify [digipak remaster]
3. Blackfield - Blackfield (don't worry about the 2cd version unless it's the same price - the second disc is rubbish IMO)
4. No-Man - Together We're Stranger

You may also want to get yourself over to the PT forum. It is independently run, and is very friendly and civilised. There are plenty of useful threads that will give you great ideas of the stuff PT fans listen to / would recommend.

Flooded, thanx for the response-ur my only responder!...shocking...I cant say enough about this Wilson fella, I just hope he keeps on cranking out material.

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 7
If you want to get "everything he's ever done" better get to it, and check out the Steven Wilson discography at
http://www.voyage-pt.de/swdisco.html -it's 265 pages long! he also lists his personal fav. recordings in a little blurb at the top which, though i haven't heard all of them, probably are a good place to start.
As for my recommendations, i'd say Signify for PT (jam-band-like goodness), Together We're Stranger for some No-Man (atmospheric, and a WICKED bass clarinet solo), Ghosts on Magnetic Tape for Bass Communion (great for late-night, lights-out headphone listening), and let's say Opeth's Damnation, on which SW produces, contributes a song, some vocals and tons of mellotron
evil_smiley.gif
Don't be afraid of Opeth because their not SW's band, his stamp is all over the three albums he produced - in fact, Opeth hired another band member to make up for SW's absence after he left. Course, you'll eventually have to get everything. Happy hunting
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 7
You have to get Signify by Porcupine Tree. It is considered to be their best album by quite a few Porcupine Tree fans. I also like Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream, but I'm a huge Signify fanboy.

You should also check out Bass Communion and I.E.M. (Incredible Expanding Mind$#@%. Bass Communion is his experimentation with low droning ambient sounds, which I felt was quite good. I.E.M. is a weird jazzy type of project, which I also find to be quite good.

*EDIT* By the way, as much as I love PT's more rock albums (Deadwing and In Absentia (LOVE THIS ALBUM)), I prefer their more original less rock materials, such as Signify. So if you like Deadwing and In Absentia, you may or may not like it.

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 7
Those are great albums from Porcupine Tree but so are the rest of the PT albums.
biggrin.gif

I know that all of the PT albums aren't available atm. but these you should absolutely get:

1. Stupid Dream
2. Lightbulb Sun
3. Up The Downstair
4. Signify

After these you can take anything from the rest of their albums but they're not as good as these four + those two you already have. Still very good but these six albums are TEH BEST! I just love all of them.

Other Steven Wilson projects/bands aren't as good as PT (IMO) but here's something:

Blackfield - Blackfield : This is a great album. Must have for every Porcupine Tree fan.

No-Man - Flowermouth : This album is ok. I don't like it even nearly as much as Blackfield but it goes every now and then.

I listened through this Together We're Stranger from No-Man and I must say that I didn't like it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back