Steve Miller's new album Bingo!
Jun 19, 2010 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Jubei

Headphoneus Supremus
I read about Steve Miller's new CD Bingo over at the Quietus (where Steve Miller talks about tracks on the CD) yesterday and managed to get a hold of the CD today. I just gave it my first spin and found it an enjoyable album; nothing ground-breaking here, but Steve Miller is back to his 70s era rocking best. The album is short: the standard 10-track CD is only 32 minutes long while the extended version adds four tracks with a total duration of around 44 minutes.

Bingo! sees Steve Miller returning to his roots of playing the blues and the songs are all covers of pretty standard blues tunes. The overall sound is still very Steve Miller, i.e. simple funky riffs dominate the album with highly singable choruses. But this album features way more guitar solos and fills than in most Steve Miller albums since the 80s, and the cover songs never sound dull or lifeless. In fact, I quite liked the album - it is a mainstream sounding blues rock album, not unlike albums by the Fabulous Thunderbirds. I was impressed that Steve Miller managed to deliver a fresh sounding cover of the Otis Rush classic All Your Loving - no easy feat as the song has been covered numerous times by every imaginable guitarist (who proclaims a love for the blues).

I would say I still prefer the first 3 Steve Miller Band albums, but this is probably one of his most listenable albums in a long long time.

Tracklist

01. Hey Yeah (3:16)
02. Who's Been Talkin'? (3:03)
03. Don't Cha Know (3:12)
04. Rock Me Baby (3:47)
05. Tramp (3:26)
06. Sweet Soul Vibe (3:38)
07. Come On (Let The Good Times Roll) (2:38)
08. All Your Love (I Miss Loving) (3:11)
09. You Got Me Dizzy (2:22)
10. Ooh Poo Pah Doo (3:31)
11. Ain't That Lovin' You Baby (Bonus Track) (2:22)
12. Further On Up The Road (Bonus Track) (2:34)
13. Look On Yonder Wall (Bonus Track) (3:08)
14. Drivin' Wheel (Bonus Track) (3:38)

P.S. I think the album cover was inspired by Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back