Steve Irwin: do you agree with his approach towards conservation?
Sep 5, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid
"Our major sponsor, Australia Zoo, gives vital support to Wildlife Warriors Worldwide Ltd, and we are proud to have a strong link to a company so dedicated to the interests and future of our wildlife. Australia Zoo's philosophy of Conservation through Exciting Education has given Wildlife Warriors a solid foundation to build upon, and our organisation has become a conduit for achieving the Zoo's global conservation objectives.

Australia Zoo covers ALL of the costs of administration for Wildlife Warriors and provides other essential support where necessary. This means that 100% of all donations we receive can be applied directly to where they are needed, and make an immediate impact in the world of wildlife conservation. The Zoo has also provided the land for the Australian Wildlife Hospital and Wildlife Warriors offices, consulting staff for various projects, and the opportunity to promote the work of Wildlife Warriors Worldwide Ltd to Zoo patrons for fundraising purposes."

i have the right to disagree

i do agree he personally has helped in certain ways, i do think he hurt public perception worldwide... he might have been a different figurehead in Australia but in the US he is "The Crockadile Hunter" and he got famous by videotaping his wrecklessness. a message of conservation is telling people to stay away from natural habitats, not owning the habitats so they can bring in tourists.

they should broadcast his final videotape to seal his legacy and show people what actually happens when they enter the natural world and think they can control wild animals. its like refusing to show the accident that kills a famous race car driver.

euc. Why don't you read more on his efforts, instead of commenting on what you say you think is happening, based on what you see on TV. If you read further into his studies, dedication, and willingness to spread awareness on conservation..you may feel differently. Irwin was the real deal, and not prepped or poised for the camera each shot.. He knew quite a bit more than most on site zoologists worldwide, and in the field, his efforts are without piers. He elongated the industry exposure and awareness to new levels for people all over the world.

I had the privledge of meeting Irwin in 1997 at a zoological benefit on conservation of endangered species for about a half hour.. His communication and knowledge was as genuine as any professional I have ever encountered, when speaking to wildlife, ecosystem studies, and general information regarding conservation. This day is sad for me, and I am in black, with a black tie at work.

Some of the most entertaining footage I have ever seen on a nature channel includes clips and passages with Erwin and his girl..in the early days. Glad I taped some of his shows before the "theme song" days...and gimmick commercial break/lead in's, they are very entertaining and informative.
RIP Steve Irwin

edit spelling

Sep 5, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #17 of 54
Let's just say that he's done more for conservation than i ever will, and was more successful at making a difference at it than many others who also do it full time. You can argue that since he had "king of the hill" status for awhile that he could have done more while he was at the tip of everyone's tongue, but still the end result is that wildlife was probably better off with him than to have been without him.

Sep 5, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #18 of 54
I don't see the point in starting a negative thread about someone who died educating the world about animals, whether you agree with his conservation or not. I am not saying the guy needs to be idolized, but I don't think we need a **** on Steve Irwin thread either.

Sep 5, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

I don't see the point in starting a negative thread about someone who died educating the world about animals, whether you agree with his conservation or not. I am not saying the guy needs to be idolized, but I don't think we need a **** on Steve Irwin thread either.

I agree with you. Why disrespect him?

Sep 5, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #20 of 54
^ X2 Purk..
plainface.gif

Sep 5, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
euc. Why don't you read more on his efforts, instead of commenting on what you say you think is happening, based on what you see on TV. If you read further into his studies, dedication, and willingness to spread awareness on conservation..you may feel differently. Erwin was the real deal, and not prepped or poised for the camera each shot.. He knew quite a bit more than most on site zoologists worldwide, and in the field, his efforts are without piers. He elongated the industry exposure and awareness to new levels for people all over the world.

I had the privledge of meeting Erwin in 1997 at a zoological benefit on conservation of endangered species for about a half hour.. His communication and knowledge was as genuine as any professional I have ever encountered, when speaking to wildlife, ecosystem studies, and general information regarding conservation. This day is sad for me, and I am in black, with a black tie at work.

Some of the most entertaining footage I have ever seen on a nature channel includes clips and passages with Erwin and his girl..in the early days. Glad I taped some of his shows before the "them song" days...and gimmick commercial break/lead in's, they are very entertaining and informative.
RIP Steve Erwin

i also saw clips of him prancing his new born baby boy at ground level to a croc pool.

i dont understand why people think he is some sort of hero for trying to interact with wild animals. he has been under public investigation for violating wildlife laws in that respect. filming documentaries about wildlife to raise public awareness and putting your head next to a deadly animal on a cable TV show or zoo exhibition are not on equal ground.
ive learned the most about animals and respect them as a result b/c i enjoy watching them behave naturally as seen through the eyes of massive telephoto lenses. there is nothing wrong with that tradtional approach (or not approaching actually) but now people think its boring b/c theres not some ******* wrestling them... yea great example to set.

i shouldnt be criticized b.c i dont feel sorry for Irwin after he put himself in a deadly situation and actually died. what is the awareness that he was pushing by doing a TV show about him swimming with stingrays?.. that stingrays live in the ocean and are gentle? thanks for the reminder, but only half of that is true.
"look, so gentle i can swim with them... er... but dont you do it too, im just making you aware you can.. or wait, no you cant they are dangerous, but not me b.c i have a special self-proclaimed gift" he is not a martyr, and the reason i talk about it is b.c it offends me that people think his behavior is noble. it is the everyday people that help wild animals, they stay the hell away from them.

Sep 5, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #22 of 54
A better way to look at him is this way:

1. A performer.
2. An environmentalist / naturalist.

He was successful as a television personality because of #1 to be sure, but I really don't think that he inspired a generation of alligator wrestlers snake-chasers. To judge him based on personality alone, especially the personality he showed on camera, is pretty short sighted.

For example, Robert DeNiro: tough guy, right? In reality he's extremely shy and reserved. He gets that side of him out on camera, then holes up. The way we perceive celebrities can be way off from reality.

--Illah

Sep 5, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

i also saw clips of him prancing his new born baby boy at ground level to a croc pool.

i dont understand why people think he is some sort of hero for trying to interact with wild animals. he has been under public investigation for violating wildlife laws in that respect. filming documentaries about wildlife to raise public awareness and putting your head next to a deadly animal on a cable TV show or zoo exhibition are not on equal ground.
ive learned the most about animals and respect them as a result b/c i enjoy watching them behave naturally as seen through the eyes of massive telephoto lenses. there is nothing wrong with that tradtional approach (or not approaching actually) but now people think its boring b/c theres not some ******* wrestling them... yea great example to set.

i shouldnt be criticized b.c i dont feel sorry for Irwin after he put himself in a deadly situation and actually died.

Ignorance breeds more ignorance
rolleyes.gif

What exactly did you see on TV? You know..the medium of choice for displaying distorted facts in this world? When called out on this very incident...EXPERTS were called to testify whether his child was ever in danger, because you know...children's aid societies were up in arms. Do you know what the EXPERTS declared? Not only was the child NEVER in harms way, Steve was in complete control of the situation and had kept the distance 100% safe the entire time.

Hmmm, but what you saw on tv is now PROOF the he is some sort of thrill seeking yahoo who holds little regard for his own flesh and blood. Well sir, glad you were able to comment on this one. I certainly feel more informed now that another expert has chimed in. I mean, your testimony usurps those that examined the footage from ALL angles, not to mention those that were there.

As for putting himself in a deadly situation with the sting ray, have you read the police report? The footage shows that he in fact was not in a characteristically dangerous position but that, like all situations dealing with wild animals, there is an element of the unexpected and that for whatever reason, this sting ray may have felt cornered between the camera man and Steve. EXPERTS are say it is a freak accident, and that Steve did nothing to antagonize the ray. But then...again, an expert chime in who had NOT seen the footage nor was actually there to observer the death. Again, I'm enlightened.

The problem with threads like this and the posts I deleted in the other thread is that folks climb onto these high horses and enjoy thrashing a person's rep when they are down. In this case, perpetually so. Not a day went by before major criticisms were being thrown at a man with little regard for his family or friends. I read one post where one vocal but clueless (in that thread anyway) poster decisively claimed that no member of Steve's family was a member here.

WOW!!! I didn't realize that each member not only has access to the IP logs of each profile but that they can trace those IP's to the MAC address of computers all around the world and can definitively ID who owns which computer. For all we know, Mrs. Irwin could be an avid headphone fanatic and lurker.

He was not a child molester or a maniacle warlord. He didn't torture people and his life was about making this world a better place. He tried to keep animals safe and rescued them when he could. A person deserves a little respect particularly in death when their life has been about doing good. His methods might be questioned by experts, and I stress experts, but then the methods of experts in any field are questioned by other experts. 'Tis the way of science. Yet, can't one just lay off for a while before laying the smack down on someone's rep? Apparently not. The worst part of it is when FUD is spread regarding said individual, character assassination attempts using baseless and grossly misinformed facts. But then...it takes OTHER posters to provide evidence, the OP can just get the ball rolling claiming he does not have to prove anything, no he can just flame a dead guy while a good part of the world mourns.

I think I mentioned tact and class in the other thread, seems it will go site unseen in this thread. I guess I expect too much of people these days...

Some may think I am over reacting on this topic in both threads. Think what you want, yet...have we had threads in the Members Lounge regarding his antics in the past? Has this been discussed in depth? No. Oh...but it's fine to open up this can of worms the day he dies and to continue it the day after. Lovely, just lovey.

Sep 5, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #24 of 54
Right on Illah, you took the word out of my mouth. Euclid, you might not agree how's he done thing in his show, to be honest, I don't like his show either but his show is succesfull for a reason and it increase much more enviroment awareness than any other show. He's not only talk and show but actually do it without exagerating it in his show. I might not like his show but I admire what he do, applaud him for his success and sad that his time has been cut short. He's done better thing that what I've done up to now, he deserve to live longer and continue what he's doing.

Sep 5, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #25 of 54
Zanth you have a major problem with concept of free speech, in the real world people have constructive discussions about controversial topics and defend opposite views, nothing is straight forward and there are considerations to be made from both sides. just b/c you feel offended does not make it a requirement for me to properly honor Irwins death by completetly ignoring the controversy surrounding him, there is a larger concept at stake in this discussion and you completley overlook it. Irwin is dead of his own device because he was not respecting nature.

youve edited my opinions on more than one occasion but this is a legitimate thread posing a valid question. DO YOU AGREE WITH IRWINS APPROACH TOWARDS CONSERVATION?, i think 3 people have actually answered.

Sep 5, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #26 of 54
Euclid, He is dead, so you don't have to worry about him putting his son in danger, you don't have to worry about him putting animals in zoos. You don't have to worry about him bothering crocodiles.

What more do you want? Do you want charges brought against him, do you want all of his TV shows banned? Would you like to go p*ss on his grave? What is your intent here
confused.gif

You are entitled to your opinion and you are entitled to post it here, but you are the only one who feels this way and you are just disrespecting him for no reason. You might as well start a thread about Hitler's accomplishments.

To be honest, I really don't know enough about his conservation, but I do think he was a great entertainer and educator and being as that he is dead, I don't see why it matters.

Sep 5, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

i shouldnt be criticized b.c i dont feel sorry for Irwin after he put himself in a deadly situation and actually died.

The passion and energy that he naturally portrayed in his actions and contributions to animal welfare was undeniable.

And in communicating his unwillingness to "ham" it up for the cams, early on..producers and investors earmarked Steve's Natural sense and enthusiastic nature towards animal conversation and were already plotting dollar signs and various show spin offs..before his debut on Animal Planet, even. Irwin accomplished more before his screen debut, than many will achieve in two lifetimes..

Sorry your posts are drafted poorly, and seem hardly appropriate.

Quote:

i dont understand why people think he is some sort of hero for trying to interact with wild animals.

How about since 1973 (before you were even born maybe), Steve had lived on a farmland caring and maintaining wild animals that were rescured, relocated, or set for euthanasia..and therefore, already running an animal refuge/rescue..(at age 12)

Irwin Volunteered at the Queensland Governments rogue crocodile relocation program just at age of 9...and was hunting, capturing, and rescuing crocs at age 9 too.

The Zoological Preserve in N Queensland Australia, which harbors over 100 Crocs, were ALL hand captured by Irwin in the urban areas, outback and rural territories, (basically from areas/instances where the animal and environment surrounding would have been completely destroyed)
Irwin was intrumental and reknown for his "non lethal injections or tranquilizers" treatment and practices and initiated (himself) Queenland's government on the process of the country's Crocodile Relocation Program, in which the reptiles could be transferred and relocated to proper localties in the most absolute humane, non-tranquilizing manner.

I would say that just these milestones alone, along with coming from a second generation naturalist family, is quite worthy of recognition as a hero and/or humanitarian.

edit: hey euc, have you ever carried a live cricket out of your home to set free, or moved an animal from harms way in the face of construction or disaster? Yeah, Irwin has been doing that on a grander less selfless scale since before he hit his teens...sad stuff indeed

Sep 5, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Zanth you have a major problem with concept of free speech, in the real world people have constructive discussions about controversial topics and defend opposite views, nothing is straight forward and there are considerations to be made from both sides. just b/c you feel offended that i am not respecting Iriwins death does not make it a requirement, there is a larger concept at stake in this discussion and you completley overlook it. Irwin is dead because he was not respecting nature.

youve edited my opinions on more than one occasion but this is a legitimate thread posing a valid question. DO YOU AGREE WITH IRWINS APPROACH TOWARDS CONSERVATION?, i think 3 people have actually answered.

Wow euc, lots of bold text and still talk of bullying everyone around?? Great thread, use of language, and topic!!

I am depressed somewhat for replying to this thread, as I thought this would help remember and honor his achievements, not shred the guy up a new one..

Sep 5, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Zanth you have a major problem with concept of free speech, in the real world people have constructive discussions about controversial topics and defend opposite views, nothing is straight forward and there are considerations to be made from both sides. just b/c you feel offended that i am not respecting Iriwins death does not make it a requirement, there is a larger concept at stake in this discussion and you completley overlook it. Irwin is dead because he was not respecting nature.

Hey..he has passed away. What's a big deal? Don't you understand the word "rest in peace"?

Sep 5, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Zanth you have a major problem with concept of free speech, in the real world people have constructive discussions about controversial topics and defend opposite views, nothing is straight forward and there are considerations to be made from both sides. just b/c you feel offended does not make it a requirement for me to properly honor Irwins death by completetly ignoring the controversy surrounding him, there is a larger concept at stake in this discussion and you completley overlook it. Irwin is dead of his own device because he was not respecting nature.

the only way i can explain my point of view is by quoting my own post and adding.

Irwin is dead of his own device because he was not respecting nature, but everyone talks of him as if he was, and of his death as if it was some bizzare accident. which is not a good example for the media(or anyone) to set IMHO.

think what you will about my insensivity, i think its rationality and im not ashamed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back