Stereophile reviews iPod!
Sep 16, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #31 of 41
iPod can also play wav so it CAN be compared to standalone players. I've measured mine with RMAA a month or so ago, and I was astonished at how clean it came out. Granted it was without any load (so it was driving soundcard input directly) but at maximum volume and 0dB test signal (I tested with wav calibration/test signals of course) there was no distortion (not any more than normal). It definitely did not measure worse than some of the larger stuff I have. I'm not at all surprised Stereophile was satisfied with it. When driving headphones I'd certainly imagine it wouldn't match performance of the kind of headphone amps that we on these forums use but as a source it's not bad at all.

I've heard distorted mp3's that others encoded but all that I did myself with LAME came out fine and I listen to classical that has a lot of dynamic range (you have to listen near the max volume most of the time).

That is not to say that when using a different source playing CDs and a proper headamp, with HD-600, it doesn't blow the iPod away. In fact iPod helps you appreciate it more, as you get to listen to it all the time using itself and the earbuds and when you come home you get a treat from your home system.

Sep 17, 2003 at 12:51 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by GSTom1
The iPod menu system isn't that great. It can be quite hard to navigate, especially with that overly sensitive touch pad.

Granted, the buttons on the newer models are too sensitive, IMO. But the menus hard to navigate using the touchpad? Do you have ten thumbs?
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2003 at 6:03 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Best of all—and, to my ears, completely indistinguishable from the original CD—was AIFF. Dynamics were impressive, imaging was nuanced and detailed, and the frequency extremes sounded extended and natural.

LOL! Somebody doesn't know what AIFF is.
biggrin.gif

[size=xx-small]Okay, maybe the reviewer does, but he ought to point out that AIFF is uncompressed PCM. I can hear them now: "AIFF? What is this fabulous new compression format and where can I get it?!?!"
tongue.gif
[/size]

Sep 17, 2003 at 8:09 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Lando
biggrin.gif

My thought exactly. I wonder if he compared AIFF's to WAV's?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 17, 2003 at 10:45 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

The iPod should be able to drive all but the low-impedance Grados and the AKG K1000 with impunity. I got great sound with it driving Sony MDR-7506 closed-back headphones.

Very true statement for my situation: 1st gen and SR80s. Got my SR80 from Archosman and they were already burned in. My iPod volume is set for my ER-4S unamped (about 80 percent or more) and I had to turn in down. Sound is very nice and handles the myriad of music styles that come up at random. I guess this had to do with the impedance (etys 100, SR80 32)? I love my etys, but for ease of use, you can't beat popping on the Grados for a quick smoke on the patio.

Sep 17, 2003 at 9:09 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
My thought exactly. I wonder if he compared AIFF's to WAV's?
very_evil_smiley.gif

of course not. everyone knows that wavs sound better.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:11 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Best of all—and, to my ears, completely indistinguishable from the original CD—was AIFF. Dynamics were impressive, imaging was nuanced and detailed, and the frequency extremes sounded extended and natural.

Originally posted by Lando
biggrin.gif

Okay, maybe the reviewer does, but he ought to point out that AIFF is uncompressed PCM. I can hear them now: "AIFF? What is this fabulous new compression format and where can I get it?!?!"
tongue.gif

Why is this funny? He's obviously comparing DACs and analog electronics here, no?

And he mentions in several places that AIFF is a lossless format.

Oct 13, 2003 at 11:45 AM Post #39 of 41
the humor of it is not that he is talking about aiff as a lossless format, but he seems to think that it's a somehow *compressed* format too...

kell

Oct 13, 2003 at 2:34 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

...since it throws away no data in an attempt to compress the file size.

so, no, not incorrect...perhaps a bit clumsily worded, tho.
Quote:

Best of all—and, to my ears, completely indistinguishable from the original CD—was AIFF...

here, it sounds as if he's comparing the formats, rather than the hardware. coupled with the above, it makes it easy to misunderstand/make fun of.

kell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back