Stereophile Ipod review -
Oct 6, 2003 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ari

500+ Head-Fier
"October 6, 2003 — Wes Phillips slips into his well-worn flame-proof underwear as he bravely introduces audiophiles to the musical merits of the Apple iPod. WP finds he likes living at the edge of audio trendiness, exclaiming, "Holy cow! I'm running with the fashionistas! Can I still be an audiophile, too?""

Review here

Oct 6, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 16
Thanks for posting. It's been talked about, but nice to read the actual review.

I disagree about his upper bitrate AAC v. MP3 comparisons (especially since I assume he was using iTunes FhG encoder for the MP3s), but they have different characteristics, so to each their own. Plus I suspect individual albums would perform better with each.

Good review. For all the comments made regularly around here lately about the iPod sounding so bad, it's refreshing to read a review where the person actually had the device.

Oct 6, 2003 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 16
i have the 10 gig ipod that doesn't come with a docking station so unfortunately that means no line out. i do convert to 320 kbps because i think we would all sacrifice space for sound.

do you think that using the headphone out will change things too much. i ask this becuase if there is a significant change, i will go out and buy the seperate docking station but if not, then i'm not going to waste my money.
confused.gif

oh yeah, i am going to connect it to portable amp to clear things up

Oct 6, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 16
Well, it is a space/quality related issue right? Otherwise why stop at 320 kpbs and just move to WAV/AIFF's? If the answer is size, then you understand why people move back to Lame --aps/--ape or 192/224 AAC's. Plus the iPod has its 9 meg limit where the file size starts to cause increased hard disk spins thus greatly lowing battery life. --ape and 224 AAC keeps most tracks just below that.

I haven't an answer to your question as I have a previous gen so a dock isn't an option, but I would guess an amp is where the biggest play would occur. If I had the option of getting a true line out with a dock or adapter I would. Related subject about iPod and amps: I have to admit at least a Meta amp (and possibly others) do tone down a bit the sometimes discussed iPod brightness even through the headphone out.

Oct 6, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 16
wow, i didn't know that 9 meg limit thing. no wonder my ipod dies in like 4 or 5 hours. i usually use it for live sets and most of them are over 2-3 hours long.

AIFF would be better, u're right...anyways, i will try to find someone with a dock and compare but i'm guessing it is a good investment ...its not that much money when u already spent 300, why not spend some more.

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 16
You can use a MP3 editor to split the files to smaller individual files (I do this with 6-7 hour audiobooks), but you'll have the gap during playback between them.

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by hop ham
do you think that using the headphone out will change things too much. i ask this becuase if there is a significant change, i will go out and buy the seperate docking station but if not, then i'm not going to waste my money.

I think the line-out sounds great. I'm planning on buying a 2nd one to connect to a different system in the house.

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 16
I took delivery of another iPod recently. It's sitting in the dock connected to a laptop and a mini system near it. I did the obligatory iPod v NJB3 v Zen comparison with the E5 and it hasn't been out of the house since.

However my coolness standing amongst my friends has taken a huge dive now that I produce a giant frisbee whenever they want to listen to something I have.
In fact, the response when I unveiled the NJB3 to my friends in a cafe for the first time after being 'iPod-man' for a while was "What the **** is that?". I might just have to carry it occasionally to show I haven't lost it as a style icon.

On the matter of the iPod, I'm working to make the iWart a bit better looking and a bit safer. Photos, etc when it's completed.

Oct 6, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 16
I thought the 9meg limit was fixed with one of the earlier firmware releases... I had a first gen and 3rd gen iPod, both with the respective newest firmware release, and I used both with uncompressed WAV files. I don't remember having noticed any significant battery life differences with using WAV and MP3 files (there are some, since you still have to load the file more often).

Oct 6, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 16
The 9 meg limit is off a pretty recent Apple page that lists recommendations to conserve battery life. Just tried, but I can't find the URL, it was certainly pushed around the Mac sites recently around the time of the 3rd gen launch and criticism over the decreased battery life from 10 to 8 hours.

There was a firmware update (I believe it was 1.2.6) that fixed the sliding full charge time (10 hours became 8 became 6, etc.). Unless I'm wrong that's the only significant battery fix done by firmware. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

On my first gen, even a low bitrate, but large file size, audiobook file will drain my battery faster than most MP3's or AAC's. I've started splicing those files up to conserve life.

Oct 6, 2003 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 16
I guess I just don't have long continuous sessions to really test out that theory with.. It certainly doesn't feel like my iPod has been spinning continuously (usually you can feel a little bit of vibration when the hard drive is spinning and reading)...

I guess it's something I should test out on the weekends..

Oct 7, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 16
blessingx ...i use hjsplit but i usually don't like gaps inbetween live sets because i listen to electronic music and i don't like the pause and also i like the option of scrolling thru the whole live set rather than hitting "menu" , then choosing part 2 , and then scrolling again.

what program u all use for u're ipod. i got a pc so itunes is not available but i got used to ephpod...i just don't like musicmatch all tho its idiotproof.

Oct 7, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #13 of 16
Fortunately, I'm on OSX, so it's iTunes for transfers for me. Be aware though that Newsweek leaked that October 15th was the Apple PC iTunes launch date. Even if it's off, it shouldn't be much longer.

I use Audion for splitting MP3 files and Audio Hijack Pro to handle audiobooks files, though again both are Mac only.

Oct 7, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 16
I was very down on iPod sound quality until I tried the line out with an external amplifier (supermini) and my Grado SR-125.

Previously, I had tried the remote's output and went directly to headphones. Never could stand to listen to it. Probably it depends a lot on the 'phones, though (impedance and sensitivity).

Now, I'd be happy to own one, but I'd use the line out and an external amplifier (or directly into a car stereo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back