Stereophile HR Rant (for Tuberoller)
Aug 4, 2003 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
http://www.stereophile.com/soapbox.shtml

"If you ask a true, dedicated audiophile about his favorite sound, chances are it will still be vinyl LP. It's like asking a Harley motorcycle owner if he would prefer a Lexus or Ford automobile—he may own a car (as an audiophile probably does a CD player), but the bike will be his true love." -- Tony Faulkner

Aug 7, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 8
Live is great, so long as they're not using 15 giant crappy speakers and four or five giant crappy subwoofers. That tends to cause great discomfort to one's ears. >_<

Aug 7, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 8
Live is great... when it's un-amped, which nowadays is pretty much never, outside of rare classical and jazz venues

Aug 7, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 8
Wait a minute... isn't there a Stereophile reviewer with the initials "HR"?
confused.gif

Aug 7, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Lando
Live is great, so long as they're not using 15 giant crappy speakers and four or five giant crappy subwoofers. That tends to cause great discomfort to one's ears. >_<

So true! It's very long ago since I've been on a rock or jazz concert - and that's the main reason. The music may be «live», but it's far from being high-end sound, just LOUD. Apart from the amplifying issue, even classical (orchestral) music often sounds better at home from CD or SACD (I don't use my turntable anymore, but records may be icluded), more «musical» in terms of the comprehension of its inner structure, even when you're very close to the stage.

peacesign.gif

Aug 7, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 8
That's sadly a woe. I bought a decent mike to make some recording with my Sony R900 MD. But a couple trips out taught me bad miking is de rigeur. Ackk.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back