Stereo sound for one ear
Dec 3, 2004 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Cap'n Dan

Head-Fier
I am helping a hallmate of mine find a headphone, but he's hard of hearing on the left side. We're interested in a headphone experience that will provide a stereo sound for one ear. A conversion of the sound from stereo to mono would accomplish this, but a balance dial would not, because that would cut off half of the sound, I think. Is there a headphone with a stereo-->mono switch built in, or is there some piece of technology that would do this?

Dec 3, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 7
You may find a headphone adpater plug which will convert from stereo to a mono plug at Radio Shack. Also many preamplifires allow you to mix the channels. Worst case solder the l and r cords together somewhere such as at the plug.

Dec 3, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm not sure but would crossfeed help?
confused.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 7
foobar and i'm sure at least some other media players have a dsp option to output stereo to mono. if your hallmate is using it at the computer. then he could use any pair of regular headphones

Dec 4, 2004 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 7
The Sennheiser HZR6 headphone extension cord and volume control has independant left and right volume controls as well as a stereo/mono switch. Sounds like it might be just what you're looking for. The cable on it is about 20' long which was way too long for what I was using it for, so I shortened it to about 5'. The Sennheiser cable is incredibly difficult to work with though, I'd recommend just wrapping or bundling it up if you don't need the 20' length. The HZR6 is available from a few different places for $25-30.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back