Stereo setup for my PC...
May 20, 2009 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

UncleDavid218

100+ Head-Fier
So I have M-Audio AV40's and they're good, but I just want something better.
I'm considering the following:

Harmon Kardon 3490
JBL L830CH

I can get the combo new for $550, so I think that's a pretty good value.
If you don't recommend the JBLs, any other recommendations at the $260 price point?

May 20, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 11
That is a pretty good deal for the $$. However, those JBL only go down to 48hz? That isn't quite low enough imo.

How tight is your budget? Are you planning on adding a sub? Down the road, that would be a good idea. The reciever supports a sub so you could buy something like this within your budget:

http://www.thespeakercompany.com/TSB...air-P45C6.aspx

http://www.thespeakercompany.com/ASW...er-P61C17.aspx

Just an option. The TSC speakers are very good for the $$.

I bought a pair of HSU HB-1 MK2s ($340 shipped) and a TSC T250 sub ($250 shipped normally). That is a bit more than your budget but imo as good a 2.1 as anything under $1000 much less the $550 I paid. I got a discount on the sub btw. It would cost about $600 normally.

You could still get the JBL, listen to it, see if you want a sub and then look into that. Since you can cross the sub over at 50hz, I think even a $100 sub like the 8" TSC would sound fine.
http://www.stereomojo.com/HSU%20HB1%...akerReview.htm
http://www.thespeakercompany.com/T25...r-P103C17.aspx

May 20, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 11
My budget really isn't that tight, but because this is for my computer I'd like to not spend a ton.

I've read a lot of great things about the HB-1 MK2s and I think those are what I will go with.

For a sub, do you recommend anything from the JBL line?
The only reason I ask is because I get such a good deal on them.
I can get the ES150PCH, ES250PCH, and L8400P for a great price.
Otherwise I could just go with the TSC T250.

May 20, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 11
The TSC is the best budget sub going imo. It goes lower, stronger than anything in its class and should be plenty fast. I got one for the speed to keep up with the HB-1s. Since I will not have it all until next week, it will be awhile before I can say yes this works. It should do awesome though. The TSC sub goes to 23hz strongly and even lower audibly.

If you can get a really good deal on the JBL though, go for it. They certainly do not stink.

May 20, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 11
Oh and HSU makes really great subs. They start at $300 though. I may still get one of theirs. Have not bought another sub yet b/c I have a decent 12". I do need a second sub though. I have two stereos and one sub atm.

May 21, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 11
Bob & Ron's World Wide Stereo -Home Theater, HDTV, High End Audio

This is another great deal. Energy ESW-V8 sub. Their $550 8" sub for $250. Looks like a serious 8" with 26hz capable. I like the small subs for a desktop config. Look at that surround! Very tough and fast. I am going with this or the TSC aluminum 10". Both are around $250.

May 23, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 11
What if I changed the thread title to "Stereo setup" without the PC part? I'm thinking I'm just going to use my AV40s on my PC with a DAC.

Would it still make sense to do with the HK amp, HSU HB-1 MKIIs, and a sub (undetermined)?

The source will still be a PC, but this time my media center PC. It has digital coax out which the HK supports.

May 24, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 11
The av40s will work fine with a sub. By themselves too but not nearly as much fun.

The HK, HSU, sub would be killer sounding. Like going from SR60s to K1000s + bass compared to the av40s.

Hope that gives you some perspective. Both are fine.

May 24, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The av40s will work fine with a sub. By themselves too but not nearly as much fun.

The HK, HSU, sub would be killer sounding. Like going from SR60s to K1000s + bass compared to the av40s.

Hope that gives you some perspective. Both are fine.

Thanks for all your help man. I'm gunna go with the HK, HSUs, and the Energy ESW-V8 sub.

May 24, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 11
Yeah. Remember that the sound stage should play across your screen when you get it setup right. Pretty neat actually. I do not have the HSU speakers until Tuesday thanks to fed home delivery. Booo. Doing ok with my TSC speakers in the meantime though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back