"Stereo Review's Binaural Demonstration Record"
May 4, 2005 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JefferyK

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone else heard this record? I picked up a sealed copy today at the Virgin Megastore here in San Francisco for $2.99.

I'd read about binaural recordings, but I'd never heard one before. Half of the record is street sounds: traffic, water, birds, people talking, etc. The other half is music, including rock, jazz, and classical.

I was startled by the sound: It was incredibly realistic. The string quartet and organ selections were particularly impressive. The LP notes claim that "because instruments and voices are spread naturally in the apparent space, the individual lines of the music can be followed with the greatest ease." That was certainly true.

My only complaint is that on the musical selections I got nothing in the center, but that might be a system issue: I'm beginning to think one of the channels in my cartridge is a bit louder than the other.

Now I want to hear other binaural recordings. Any recommendations? The only other recording I've heard that comes close is Madonna's "Immaculate Collection," which has Q Sound processing. It is gimmicky, but there's something going on that makes a complete soundstage in your head.

By the way, Virgin had at least two more copies (in the last jazz LP bin on the right), just in case you're in San Francisco and want to check it out.

Jeffery

May 4, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 13
The one time I've ever heard a binaural recording was actually in Disneyland. It was some historical exhibit in which you are given a pair of headphones and you sit down in a dark room. You hear people's footsteps and it's easy to place them on the floor, moving around. You hear what it sounds like to have a haircut- and I really did feel like I was being tickled by the scissors. Finally, you listen to someone give a speech. It's possible to place the speaker, and also to place the mutterings from the croud. It was really incredible. I don't even remember what the exhibit was about- just how incredible it sounded.

May 4, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazychimp132
The one time I've ever heard a binaural recording was actually in Disneyland. It was some historical exhibit in which you are given a pair of headphones and you sit down in a dark room. You hear people's footsteps and it's easy to place them on the floor, moving around. You hear what it sounds like to have a haircut- and I really did feel like I was being tickled by the scissors. Finally, you listen to someone give a speech. It's possible to place the speaker, and also to place the mutterings from the croud. It was really incredible. I don't even remember what the exhibit was about- just how incredible it sounded.

I might have seen that too or a comparable exhibit. It was at MGM at Disneyworld in Florida. It had Drew Carey in it. The story was the he was undercover and he had a camera in his tie and a mic. The first part was audio and video until his camera broke. The room went all black and you could head many binaural effects. It was very cool.

May 4, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferyK

By the way, Virgin had at least two more copies (in the last jazz LP bin on the right), just in case you're in San Francisco and want to check it out.

Jeffery

I'm getting it tomorrow on Market then. I love this stuff. Freaks me out, but it's so cool.

-shan
SF

May 4, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferyK
Now I want to hear other binaural recordings. Any recommendations?

There are several sites that review and list commercial binaural recordings, but why not make your own? As long as you have a stereo audio recorder capable of accepting microphone inputs, you can make very convincing binaural recordings with a couple of cheap Radio Shack tietack mics and your own ears.

Try www.binaural.com to start.

Imagine radio drama in binaural. Interested? Check your public library for Stephen King's The Mist.

May 4, 2005 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 13
oh my god get out of here, that recording was insane. why don't they record albums like this
frown.gif

May 4, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 13
I'll be in LA on May 16th, do you think that magazine will still be on newsstand then?

May 4, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #9 of 13
If you were interested in the organ selections on the Stereo Review's Disc you may want to check out the Joyce Jones at the Cadet Chapel Organ. It is really an amazing instrument and the recording truly captures the unique layout of the organ (Its by no means a traditional all pipes in front of you kind of organ). Plus the pedal notes will rock your world! You have to love a disc with a warning label about listening levels and loudspeaker damage on it.
basshead.gif

I'd also recommend Iannis Xenakis's Pléiades. The music is a little err... "different" but the binaural effects are great. It really does sound like the percussion is right it the room with you.

May 4, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazychimp132

That was Abe Lincoln talking! Jeez.
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0nKeY bUsiNeSs
If you were interested in the organ selections on the Stereo Review's Disc you may want to check out the Joyce Jones at the Cadet Chapel Organ. It is really an amazing instrument and the recording truly captures the unique layout of the organ (Its by no means a traditional all pipes in front of you kind of organ). Plus the pedal notes will rock your world! You have to love a disc with a warning label about listening levels and loudspeaker damage on it.
basshead.gif

I'd also recommend Iannis Xenakis's Pléiades. The music is a little err... "different" but the binaural effects are great. It really does sound like the percussion is right it the room with you.

Any hints on how to get ahold of this one? There are a few copies floating around the interweb, but none seem to be the Harmonia Mundi France edition. Would it be reasonable to guess that all of the French releases (Denon CO73-678, Harmonia Mundi HMC 905185, Musifrance 2292-45771-2, Philips MFA 422218) would be binaural? - I'm not convinced. They've got two versions on Amazon, one for $6, one for $10, but there is very limited information about them. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back