Stereo Receiver and CD player replacing old Luxmans
Oct 14, 2016 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DrunkenTiger

100+ Head-Fier
My dad's old (20-30~ year old) Luxman stuff (Receiver/CD player/Phono/Cassette) looks like it's starting to conk out after all this time! :frowning2:
His Luxman D113 CD player won't play CDs anymore, just makes a whirring noise.

One of his two floorstanding speakers is dying, suspects it may be the receiver.
I need to somehow figure out if it's the wiring, speaker, or receiver. Hmmm...

In any case we're investigating options to upgrade and replace elements of his gear starting with the CD player and possibly receiver, I need to look into floor standing speakers as well, that's for a different thread unless y'all want to throw in recommendations, I forget what his current ones are, I'll update the OP with that info later.

Right now I'm looking at the Onkyo 7030 for the CD player, the 7070 looks great but at three times the price...the USB port is a nice addition but if we upgrade the receiver, seems modern receivers already have a USB port for playback.

As far as the receiver, I want a networked one, Bluetooth would be really convenient when I don't want to fish out a CD to play, or stream music from my phone.
The Pioneer Elite SX-N30​ ​looks great, I'm really out of the loop though. We can afford to get good components, dad's the type to get something good and keep it until it stops working as he did with the Luxman gear way back. But we can't afford exorbitant audiophile gear.

Look forward to your advice! Thanks.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 2
Have you considered getting the old gear fixed?

Vintage stuff has a certain "magic" that newer stuff lacks,and this is coming from someone who owns a Rogue Audio Cronos Magnum amp and a NAD 7.1 receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back