Stereo amps with good HP out ?
Sep 9, 2009 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
OK - this isnt the 'Amp' forum, but I'm not talking about headphone amps specifically. Apologies if its in the wrong place.

One of the realities of many cheaper dual-channel amp/receivers is that the headphone out is largely an afterthought : the box is designed to drive speakers and thats about it. Reading a couple of markl's older reviews, I was struck by his claim that the headphone out on his Denon HT receiver was as good, if not better, than anything he had heard to that point, dedicated hp amps included. He made the point that this was an expensive receiver, but I'm curious - has anyone else had a similar experience with an amp/receiver ?

I am looking to upgrade my CA integrated, and the dedicated headphone amp seems like a one-trick pony when I do most of my (amplified) listening at home anyway. My budget is less than 3K USD, but any feedback is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

estreeter

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 8
My pre-amp has HP with these specs..Separate headphone amplifier, Discrete-component Class A electronics

Headphone maximum outputGreater than 7.7 V rms emf
Headphone amplifier gain18 dB (additional to 0 - 15 dB variable gain
Headphone output impedance100 W (suitable for headphones of 8 W - 2 kW impedance)
Signal to Noise
(headphone output)Greater than 80 dB

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 8
The pre-amp and the garden variety integrated amp/receiver are different beasts - a headphone amp is a specialized pre-amp. Some of Ray Samuels most expensive products are pre-amps, yet RSA is seen as a 'headphone amp' manufacturer by many here.

Re-reading the old posts on the use of integrated amps in place of a dedicated HP amp confirmed that this is about as contentious as the burn-in debate. I want to be be clear that I'm not looking to reignite WWII, nor am I claiming that the HP out on the Marantz PM6002 is better than the HeadRoom Desktop : that will get us nowhere. I want to upgrade my amp anyway, but it wont hurt to choose an amp with a good headphone out.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks headphony - I have read a couple of those, but not all - looks like I have some reading to catch up on.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 8
My Rotel 1070 stereo preamp has great headphone outputs. $300 on audiogon a few years back.

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR vintage Marantz receivers are supposed to have great HP outs.

Is Marantz PM 15 S 1 Platinium vintage enough to have a good headphone out? I can get it used for around 1400$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back