stereo amp to drive K702's????
Feb 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

deandake

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I am currently using my old Sony str db830 to drive my K702's.
Do home audio amps have enough output to properly drive these headphones? Seems to me the K702's tend to fall flat and was wondering if I should hurry up and get something better to drive my headphones. I am also using the internal DAC of the amp which is connected to my computer's C Media CMI8768  sound card with a s/pdif cable.

I have read that I need at least 500mW to drive these cans and unfortunately I cannot find the headphone output specs for the amp I am using.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 11
I don't know about your Sony, but there's a few posts in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners about driving the K701/702/Q701 with vintage receivers.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 11
If you like SS, for $199.00 you can get the Pioneer A35R @ Vann's . I have this babe and it can drive high impedance cans like HD600/650/K702 without a sweat.

The Pioneer Elite A35r is now discontinued and there are some available at Vann's.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 11
Stereo receivers usually drive headphones very well.  Most of them are designed to take the speaker amplification and then run it through resisters to lower it into suitable headphone loads.  This has some degradation to the sound, but nothing that is a deal killer.  Sometimes, it's not even noticeable. 

The K701 require lots of current, and it's possible your receiver doesn't deliver enough current.  If it sounds flat, it's a possibility.  Cheap amps that work well on the 701s include the Matrix M Stage for starters.  Said to pair well.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 11
Most Yamahas receivers come with the Silent Cinema feature, which is surround sound for the headphones.

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #7 of 11
The Yamaha RX-V667 and RX-A700 are the cheapest Yamaha receivers that come with the better speaker amplifiers.
The Bountii website usually finds the best prices.

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 11
Oh my.....just got an E9. That settles it, if the sound can sound that good out of the little E9  then I definately want a dedicated headphone amp for the K702's. Just need to finish the Opus first :)
I can't believe how much a little amplification extends the sound

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Oh my.....just got an E9. That settles it, if the sound can sound that good out of the little E9  then I definately want a dedicated headphone amp for the K702's. Just need to finish the Opus first :)
I can't believe how much a little amplification extends the sound

How is size an issue?  Most headphones including the K702 take well under 1W to be really really loud.  In fact the K702 are specified for only being able to handle up to 0.2W (or else you'll start to fry them).  You don't need a ginormous device to output that kind of power that well.  Check out "The Wire" amp on diyaudio for an idea of how large things need to be, to power headphones to really loud levels.

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,1082,pid,1082,nodeid,2,_language,EN,view,specs.html
look for "Max. input power" on the specifications page

The only reasons headphone amps are larger, is (1) so sometimes they can use hugely inefficient designs (which have little practical benefit but may make for good marketing speak because audiophiles are gullible and dumb) and (2) because larger looks more impressive and may be perceived as higher quality, and maybe (3) to be able to use larger vacuum tubes, for whatever reason.  For headphones like these, FiiO E9 isn't perfect but is almost all of the way there, unless you're aiming for lower fidelity.

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Hi all,
I am currently using my old Sony str db830 to drive my K702's.
Do home audio amps have enough output to properly drive these headphones? Seems to me the K702's tend to fall flat and was wondering if I should hurry up and get something better to drive my headphones. I am also using the internal DAC of the amp which is connected to my computer's C Media CMI8768  sound card with a s/pdif cable.
I have read that I need at least 500mW to drive these cans and unfortunately I cannot find the headphone output specs for the amp I am using.

Which make and model CMI8768 sound card is it?
Have you tried plugging the K702 into the headphone jack on the sound card to see how it sounds?

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 11
Yeah, I tried plugging into the card when I got the 702's but it sounded horrible. The card is a C-media sound card.
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/ProductsDetail.aspx?page=p&C1Serno=25&C2Serno=28&PSerno=33
I bought it mostly to use to bypass the mother board sound and use external digital to analog processing. That is why I am in the process of building an Opus DAC. In the meantime I have been using the Sony amplifier as both an amp and DAC. What I found out by using the E9 is that the headphone out on the the Sony amp is lacking the power to drive my headphones properly. Considering the E9 has a max output of 1w at 16 ohms then I am in no danger of frying my K702's. I don't know how to do the math to figure out what the E9 is able is rated at 60 ohms but I am pretty confident that it less than 1w. So, seems to me that there is room for improvement. I wouldn't say size is an issue. In fact, I am very pleased with the E9 and think it will work brilliantly for the system I am putting together at work.

If the sound quality of my headphones can improve so drastically with the E9 then I look forward to trying them with something that has a little more umph. With the E9 so far the sound is so much crisper and defined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back