Stereo Amp or Headphone Amp ?
Jan 29, 2006 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RP2X

100+ Head-Fier
Ive always listened to my music/pc/tv with headphones for the past 10 years, so am considering some Senn HD-595s, but what would be a better option amp wise ?

Ive heard dedicated headphone amps are alot better then stereo amp headphone outs....but some say otherwise and that there similar.....

Jan 29, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by RP2X
Ive always listened to my music/pc/tv with headphones for the past 10 years, so am considering some Senn HD-595s, but what would be a better option amp wise ?

Ive heard dedicated headphone amps are alot better then stereo amp headphone outs....but some say otherwise and that there similar.....

dedicated headphone amps should be better than most integrated amps, plus headphone amps serve as a great preamp. later you can always add a power amp to power speakers. think of cheap integrated stereo amps as a cheap headphone amp+power amp combined in one box, so naturally the integrated amps cannot compare.

Jan 30, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 10
Someone might be able to give you a better answer if you tell us what your existing setup is like and whether or not if you have plans about changing them.

If you are just planning to buy a better headphone, you might be better off trying it with any existing equipment you have first and then decide to be infected with upgraditus or not.

There are integrated amps and receivers with good headphone jacks. I don't know any from the top of my head, but I have read several postings over the years about NAD having reasonable headphone jacks.

Jan 30, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 10

Jan 30, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 10
My Leben CS-600 (5810 $ integrated amp) is A LOT better than any dedicated headphone amp I have/had and listened ! The signal that goes to the headphones is the same of the speakers... (like the Cary 300B and not many others amp).

I do not think that with the same money I'd can find a "dedicated" headphone amp that sound so good...

Best!
Nicola

Jan 30, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 10
Well Ive just sold off my Sherwood AV home Cinema amp, and ive always found the headphone jack to be more then good when listening to all sorts of music.

It was only when I listened to my m8s HD-595s I got the upgrade fever its like listening to Real music, even PC games and TV was alot better.

I still cant quite decide id love to get another amp but alot of folk are saying go for an headphone amp, thing is headphone amps are quite pricey !

Ie:

Sugden HeadMaster amp = £599.99 or MF X-can V3 £250
Nad 350/Cambridge Audio Azur 640A =£249.99-£299

Id need plenty inputs also at least 2-3 inputs and well id like to lye back and use the remote to lower/higher the volume.... not happening with a headphone amp unless its the headmaster @£600 !
basshead.gif

Theres no decent good headphone amp with 2-3 inputs + remote and well priced is there?

Jan 30, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt
dedicated headphone amps should be better than most integrated amps, plus headphone amps serve as a great preamp. later you can always add a power amp to power speakers. think of cheap integrated stereo amps as a cheap headphone amp+power amp combined in one box, so naturally the integrated amps cannot compare.

Baloney.

I have yet to hear a headphone amp used as a preamp that bests a plain old comparably priced preamp.

Mid-fi integrateds made by Rotel and NAD do a better job driving higher-end Sennheisers that any comparably priced dedicated headphone amp I've heard.

Jeffery

Jan 30, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferyK
Baloney.

Mid-fi integrateds made by Rotel and NAD do a better job driving higher-end Sennheisers that any comparably priced dedicated headphone amp I've heard.

Jeffery

Theres quite a few that would agree and say similar....
maybe headphone amps are a tad hyped
580smile.gif

But I can understand why plenty say the headphone jack is just an after thought/connector on amps so no quality/thoughts been put into it cos they assume its gonna go to the speakers anyhow.

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 10
I have to agree with JefferyK.

I just picked up the Micro from headroom (with desktop module) and I can't honestly tell the difference when I compare it to the headphone jack on my Rotel integrated amp (using HD-600s). I can hear the crossfeed, so I know that it can't be due to bad ears.
I am hoping that with a few more hours, I'll be able to hear a difference...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back