STEPS problem 220V
May 30, 2005 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thrice

Member of the Trade:Rockhopper Audio
I'm trying to set up a STEPS for use with 220V systems and I've run into a problem.

I'm using the Amveco 70053 +/-15 15VAC transformer and all the other standard parts for a STEPS configured for 26-32VDC output.

I should get the following measurements at the test points:

TP1 and 2: ~40VAC
TP3 and 5: ~56VDC
TP3 and 5: 26-32VDC adjustable via the trimpot

Instead I get:

TP1 and 2: 18VAC
TP3 and 5: 24VDC
TP4 and 5: 22VDC when I adjust the trimpot it does not alter the voltage at all.

I've replaced the regulator, the transformer and all the diodes and still no change. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I do have it plugged into a step up transformer set to 220VAC.

Thanks,
thrice

May 30, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 5
Have you got the steps pcb configured for 220V operation? A jumper is required between points B and D only on the pcb.

If you live in a 120V country why not just use that configuration? You would get a better result than using the step-up transformer.

By the way, what is the power rating of the step-up transformer? Have you checked the voltage output on that?

I just finished mine yesterday and is now working well. I had a small hiccup - the regulator only lasted 5 minutes before it died, replaced it now it is working well.

Good luck.

May 30, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 5
Yes, it is configured for 220V operation. It's for someone in another country.

The step up trans is rated for 500W. With options for 220 and 240V AC output.

banghead.gif

Ugh: I just checked the input voltage of the Step up transformer and I had the jumper configured for 220 and it should've been 110.....bone head mistake.......

banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif

May 30, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 5
Looking at your measurements between tp1 and tp2 and the schematic, it seems that either your line voltage is not high enough i.e. dodgy step-up transformer or you have incorrectly wired the points a, b, c, and d. Check that the output of the step-up transformer is actually 220V and that you have jumpered between points B and D. I can't imagine the steps drawing that much current but I would check the power rating of the step-up transformer anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back