STEPS BOM list?
May 4, 2006 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

hell0un1verse

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I am now sourcing parts needed for STEPS, Tangent's part list doesn't include resistors, I wonder if there is some more complete BOM list for STEPS online? Or can anybody tell me what the values R1 through R5 in STEPS should take? Thank you for you help
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 15
It's all on the website, and also in the LM317 datasheet. No offence meant, but if you can't work it out, you shouldn't be building something mains powered!

edit: alex beat me to it

May 4, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 15
Here's what I used, part numbers are from Mouser

Resistor 1 M Ohm 1/4 W1R1271-1.0M-RC
Resistor 100 Ohm 1/4W1R2271-100-RC
Resistor 120 Ohm 1/4W1R3271-120-RC
Resistor 2.0 K Ohm 1/2W1R4273-2K-RC
Resistor 2.2 K Ohm 1/4W1R5271-2.2K-RC

May 5, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 15
BTW, do you guys bolt the transformer onto the STEPS PCB? I just noticed it has a hole for it, I wonder if the 8 soldering points can hold the transformer in case it's turned upside down. How long should the screw be? What kind of nuts and screws are normally needed for projects like STEPS and M3? Thanks.

May 5, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 15
I wonder if anyone has considered two STEPS as power supplies for a Dynahi. I know the Dynahi has its own power supply design published, but still. How much current can a STEP put out by the way?

May 5, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
I wonder if anyone has considered two STEPS as power supplies for a Dynahi. I know the Dynahi has its own power supply design published, but still. How much current can a STEP put out by the way?

Wouldn't the current output of the steps be limited by the what reg you use, how you heatsink it and of course the trafo you use? I know the LM317 is based on 1.5A (design load) which i don't think is enough for for the Dynahi, but I could be wrong. Also, I think you can build the dynahips for less than 2 steps. At least that's what I'm told.

Nate

May 5, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hell0un1verse
BTW, do you guys bolt the transformer onto the STEPS PCB? I just noticed it has a hole for it, I wonder if the 8 soldering points can hold the transformer in case it's turned upside down. How long should the screw be? What kind of nuts and screws are normally needed for projects like STEPS and M3? Thanks.

If you use the Amveco you wouldn't need to bolt it down. If you get another toroidal, Plitron for example, you'd need to bolt it. Soldering the pins of the Amveco holds it in place just fine.

May 5, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra

Why would you want to use two STEPS as a PSU for the dynahi though? The dynahi PSU is cheaper than building two steps, isn't it?

Unless you just happen to have a few STEPS just hanging around, not doing anything

May 5, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz
Why would you want to use two STEPS as a PSU for the dynahi though? The dynahi PSU is cheaper than building two steps, isn't it?

Unless you just happen to have a few STEPS just hanging around, not doing anything

Factoring in the cost of the OPA541's they may not be cheaper than building 2 steps. Don't forget the cost of custom heatsinking needed for the dynahi. Just my 2cents
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by grasshpr
Factoring in the cost of the OPA541's they may not be cheaper than building 2 steps. Don't forget the cost of custom heatsinking needed for the dynahi. Just my 2cents
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the Dynahips is around $140-$150 in parts, heatsink not included. It remains to be seen if a STEPS could even be configured to supply enough current.

May 5, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Windchill
If you use the Amveco you wouldn't need to bolt it down. If you get another toroidal, Plitron for example, you'd need to bolt it. Soldering the pins of the Amveco holds it in place just fine.

Thanks Windchill.

May 5, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz

Not sure about either pricing actually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I think the Dynahips is around $140-$150 in parts, heatsink not included. It remains to be seen if a STEPS could even be configured to supply enough current.

Yes that's my question. About pricing, I really wasn't sure, but indeed depends on the complete set of parts chosen for each option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back