Stepping up
Jan 17, 2010 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Robust2

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been thinking of upgrading my home system, as I currently use my pc connected to a 10 year old mini-hifi system through the onboard sound. The system has a lot of hiss, and lacks SQ in general.
I was first thinking of buying a Denon DM37 mini hifi system, as that has pretty much everything built in.
But then I would need to get a DAC to get the full potential out of it when connected to my pc, which exceeds my budget. So I thought about a cheap DIY DAC, but then again, I use the system about 70% with my pc, and about 30% to listen to the radio, but I don't really care about tuner SQ.
Long story short, I was now wondering what a good desktop speakers + amp + dac combo would be for around 450$. For the speakers I was thinking about Tannoy F1 customs, I looked around for DAC's, but a lot of them have built in headphone amps, which I don't need, but ups the price. The Kingrex T20u might be an option.
Any input on this?
Thanks!

Bruno

Jan 17, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 2
If you pick up a pair of powered speakers like the ones by Audioengine or others, you take out the need for a separate amp and just have to buy speakers + DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back