Stepping up from Fiio E17 suggestions wanted
Mar 18, 2016 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kel101

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.  I have long used a fiio E17 as a cheap desktop dac/amp for my PC360 headset.  Soon I'll be upgrading my headphones to either X2's or Fostex RP MK3's and want to upgrade the dac and amp too.  I will only ever be using this on my desktop connected via usb, wont be outputting to speakers.  In terms of form factor I am not too fussed if its one unit or two.  I have been looking for options at most around £200 at the most and cant find a definitive winner.  I figure if I got the X2 I could go for a cheaper option but if I went with the fostex would need a unit with a powerful amp.

Potential winners include: Schiit 2 stack,  Emotiva big ego, Aune x1s, Smsl sankrit +amp, (the Odac+o2 isnt there because shipping to the UK makes it not really worth it compared to the others)

Mar 19, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 8
You could ship the O2 from Switzerland. 
Postage rates should be pretty decent. 

http://www.headnhifi.com/

This is where I got my O2 and ODAC stack from. 

Generally I'd say you're looking in the right direction though.
O2 will easily drive a Fostex.

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 8
Are there any major pros on getting them separate as opposed to together

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 8
  Hey guys.  I have long used a fiio E17 as a cheap desktop dac/amp for my PC360 headset.  Soon I'll be upgrading my headphones to either X2's or Fostex RP MK3's and want to upgrade the dac and amp too.  I will only ever be using this on my desktop connected via usb, wont be outputting to speakers.  In terms of form factor I am not too fussed if its one unit or two.  I have been looking for options at most around £200 at the most and cant find a definitive winner.  I figure if I got the X2 I could go for a cheaper option but if I went with the fostex would need a unit with a powerful amp.

Potential winners include: Schiit 2 stack,  Emotiva big ego, Aune x1s, Smsl sankrit +amp, (the Odac+o2 isnt there because shipping to the UK makes it not really worth it compared to the others)

FiiO E17 will drive both just fine (Mk3 and X2)

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Are there any major pros on getting them separate as opposed to together

If you mean the O2 and ODAC, then no, not really.
I got them separately in case I ever wanted to upgrade or sell only half the system. 

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 8
  If you mean the O2 and ODAC, then no, not really.
I got them separately in case I ever wanted to upgrade or sell only half the system. 

Thanks for the info, the only worry/question I had about the odac/o2 or even the element is that they both max out at 24/92.  Is it something to be concerned about or worth paying more for something else that does better numbers

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 8
  Thanks for the info, the only worry/question I had about the odac/o2 or even the element is that they both max out at 24/92.  Is it something to be concerned about or worth paying more for something else that does better numbers

You won't tell 16/44 and 24/96 apart, so don't worry.

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 8
Even 16/44 Lossy 320kbps vs Lossless 24/96 are extremely difficult to tell apart.
Even using much more analytical headphones than the ones you are considering.

Sound quality lives in the masters (recording quality) not so much on the file quality.

Pick a quality recording by Chesky records, encode it properly to 192kbps .mp3 (16/44) file and it will sound great.
Pick a poor recording, modern pop-rock, compressed/loud recording Lossless 24/96 and it will sound poor anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back