stepped attenuators for portable amps
May 8, 2004 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

till

Head-Fier
As one might imagine, space requirements are an issue. Are there any reasonably priced stepped attenuators on the market with a height of about 25 mm or less? I have come across a model that has a height of only only 9.8 mm, width is 30 mm (part number 327-686 at http://rswww.com / http://www.rs-components.de , direct links won't work, sorry). It is a modular system. 12 steps per module is the maximum. The axis has a diameter of only 4 mm, so an adaptor would be needed for using a standard knob. Having no experience whatsoever with stepped attenuators, I am guessing that one would need two 1x12 modules for stereo.
Can this thing be used as a stepped attenuator at all? Are there better solutions?

EDIT: Part no. 327-692 seems to be for the single 12-step modules.

May 8, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 11
That's very cute.

C327686-01.jpg

They're both listed as one pole 12 way, or two pole 6 way.

Wouldn't be a lot of volume levels.

-Ed

May 8, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
That's very cute.

C327686-01.jpg

Yes, indeed
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood

They're both listed as one pole 12 way, or two pole 6 way.

Wouldn't be a lot of volume levels.

At that size, there have to be drawbacks... OTOH, I never listen at loud or even medium levels. 12 steps ought to be enough to cover my volume range. Of course, I wouldn't mind to have 24 or 36 steps or whatever and go until 0 dB attenuation, an amp that will produce a signal which is less loud than its input might seem goofy to sane people
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 11
If you put in two of them, one could be coarse, the other fine, between
the two you could get 36 steps which would certainly be enough.

May 9, 2004 at 10:20 AM Post #6 of 11
If you set the 12-position switch to 1dB steps, it would be 0 to -11dB. Adding a 12dB attenuator controlled by a toggle switch would extend your range to 0 to -23dB in 1dB steps. If you didn't mind using two rotary switches, you could set one to ten steps (each 1dB) to provide 0 to -9dB, and the second switch could have six steps (each 10dB) to give 0 to -50dB, giving you a total of 0 to -60dB in 1dB steps. This is how attenuators were done in the days of analogue music lines.

May 9, 2004 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for the input! I'll go for dual attenuators or a single one and a toggle switch, depends on what enclosure I decide on and what preliminary tests tell me about the range I need to cover for different headphones. What the heck, if I need two attenuators and they won't fit into the case, I'll just build an amp for low-impedance cans and another one for high-impendance cans (once I own one of the latter ones)
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by morsel
The description at RS says it is break before make, which means you will get nasty pops when you rotate it.

I found a thread on curing the pops with break before make attenuators, I'll try the proposed shunt resistor as a remedy when the project is ready for lift-off (in summer, hopefully). A tiny make before break attentuator would be preferred, but I didn't find anything yet.

EDIT: the cure is intended for rotary switches, not for attenuators as I first thought. As is my (novice) technical understanding, a very large resistor to ground won't weaken the signal significantly. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

May 14, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 11
I'd guess that if we could come up with a set of desired specifications, perhaps we could get a decent per-unit-cost from DACT, Gold Point, etc.

Obviously, this could be a relatively costly venture, but I think that is we could find someone willing and able to manufacturer such a beast, the portable amp market would buy them up like crazy.

That said, perhaps we should consult with the ultimate (IMHO) guru of ultra high-end tiny portables, none other than the widely known and respected Dr, Jan Meier.

I will e-mail him a link to this discussion. Can you say Meier PC v3.0?!

Let's entertain for the moment a target price point of $500 USD:

#1 add an insanely terrific "make-before-break" stepped attenuator (Roderstein resistors, but of course)

#2 eliminate the DIP switch bank, and hard-wire the output bias to Class A operation

#3 get rid of the "power on" LED

#3a in place of the "power on" LED, install an on/off toggle switch (but mount it so the orientation is front-to-back instead of side-to-side)

#4 upgrade the electrolytic capacitors to Black Gates

#5 upgrade the wiring from the battery terminals to the board to Cardas internal "hook-up" wire

#6 get rid of the crossfeed toggle switch and instead give us a rotary selector labeled poitions 1, 2, & 3, to give use more cross feed choices (like the cross feed choices on the HA-1 mike)

#7 design all of this to fit into the existing PCII chassis dimensions

#8 offer as an optional accessory item a top-of-the-line "medical-grade" Elpac PS that comes factory terminated with the proper plug and voltage requirements

#9 whatever else anyone thinks would be "cool"

I absolutely LOVE my PCII, but wonder how much farther the design could be taken, given a significantly higher price-point.
confused.gif

May 14, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 11
My addition to #9: an aluminum case. I'm not really fond of plastic enclosures. And with the Bulgin battery compartments (among others), aluminum really is a better option IMHO.
Maybe you should start a new thread on this, if Jan is interested in thinking about and discussing such a project. I most certainly hope so
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back