Step up in Head-Fi
Jul 4, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #16 of 21
Skip the LCD-2C, maybe consider directly the LCD-X. Definitely demo the Quad Era-1
I'm curious about your experience with LCD-2C/X/3 and how they stack up to Quad ERA-1 and Focal Clear. I've got an opportunity for a great deal on an ex-demo pair of LCD-3s but recently heard a review that suggested the to end range is harsh and soundstage not what would be expected for the $. Had got me a bit scared off.

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #17 of 21
If you don't mind the weight and you wear glasses, I'd probably get the LCD-X. The 2021 version has a much better default tuning compared to the 2C. Or, if you mind the weight, don't wear glasses and also don't mind buying fresh pads every couple of years, I'd look at the Clear Mg. I guess if neither of those things works, perhaps the Arya with some sort of bass boost might work, though I'm the least familiar with Hifiman headphones.

Jul 26, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #18 of 21
iDSD Diablo sounds a fair bit differently in comparison to our remaining DAC/amp combo products
I think I've narrowed down my considerations to Audeze-LCD-X or Focal Clear following reading/watching loads of reviews, listening to the limited selection of headphones I could get my hands on (including, Focal Elex, Meze 99C and Empyrean, old pair of LCD-3 with dodgey L channel and full range of ZMF) and then revisiting reviews/comparisons. Of all the Auteur was my favourite sound, but is pretty pricey and a beast to drive!

A significant benefit of LCD-X and Clear is their relative low power requirement, so I can get away with putting most of my ~$2kAUD budget into the headphones and consider an amp/DAC upgrade later.

In the meantime I'm interested in best bang for buck DAC/amp to drive these options initially. Portability would be a huge plus so that later down the line a better desktop option does not render initial source useless.

I've heard great things about iFi Diablo but is too expensive. Earmen TR-Amp? Other iFi products? Chord Mojo (although no MQA)? Something else?

Jul 26, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #19 of 21
I have the Focal Clear Pro (original) and use the with the Chord Hugo 2 and Chord Mojo.
Both very good combinations, but in terms of value for money the Mojo is hard to beat IMO.
It also pairs well with the Clears since they have a slightly analytical treble and the Mojo has a more fluid, slightly relaxed treble presentation.

Mojo is great if you prefer a musical rather than analytical, dry presentation. It provides great performance and power for the size. The things you should be aware of before buying are that you can kill the battery with poor handling, but with correct treatment it works well for 3 years in my unit. I'm also not a fan of the micro-USB ports. And the features are basic.
Also Chord is said to introduce the Mojo 2 this year, may be worth waiting for that or get a used Mojo when the M2 hits the market.

PS: Since you have heard the Focal Elex - the Clear is supposed to sound very similar.
And if you end up getting the Clear - the Pro version is much less sensitive to dirt and comes with an extra set of pads.

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #20 of 21
I have pulled the trigger and ended up with a new pair of Audeze LCD-X. I bought an iFi hip-DAC as a budget source to initially drive them and have started by using my phone (Note 10+) streaming Tidal through the Universal Audio Player Pro app.

I'm very interested in any insights or tips to optimise this initial combo and for a next step in terms of DAC/amp...

Thanks for the input this far

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #21 of 21
Of all the Auteur was my favourite sound, but is pretty pricey and a beast to drive!

I have pulled the trigger and ended up with a new pair of Audeze LCD-X. I bought an iFi hip-DAC as a budget source to initially drive them and have started by using my phone (Note 10+) streaming Tidal through the Universal Audio Player Pro app.

I'm very interested in any insights or tips to optimise this initial combo and for a next step in terms of DAC/amp...

Thanks for the input this far
Congrats on your new setup.

One thing though for the record, the Auteur isnt hard to drive at all. It has a high sensitivity, as well as being 300ohms, which places it squarely in the wheel house of a good OTL amp. Yes tubes can be daunting, but that doesnt make a headphone "hard to drive".

If were talking the OG Abyss, or the HE-6, or perhaps a vintage dynamic like the AKG K240 sextett, yes all of those can be very hard to drive to varying degrees. The Auteur as well as the rest of the ZMF lineup are not hard to drive at all. They just sound their best with a tube amp..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back