Step up from SR80s
Apr 26, 2007 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ozstrike

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking I may possibly buy some new cans in the coming months, now that I've started using my SR80s a lot more. I have finally got used to the comfort of them
biggrin.gif

Right now, i'm just looking at what's available, and worth shifting to. I don't see the point in spending a lot of money on what will make a very little difference (yet).
I listen to mainly rock and prog, with some other random stuff thrown in (see last.fm)
I'm not set on a budget yet, this is more of a feel around to see what's available, and to ask what's worth the jump from SR80s. I just know I don't want to spend >£200

Apr 26, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 14
Go for the 225's. There is a signifcant difference, especially if you get an amp to give it a little more juice. You won't be disappointed.
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 14
I thought a lot of people say the MS-1's fall in between some of the higher end models so maybe give those a try. They are cheap and dont require an amp.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 14
I think you'd really enjoy the SR-225's. They are definitely a noticeable improvement over the SR-80's, and are a clear choice since you enjoy the Grado sound.

One question, are you using an amp? If not, maybe getting an amp instead of headphones might be something to think about. ... Or you could get both :p

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 14
HF-1/225/325 are pretty much the standard upgrade past the 60/80/MS-1. I say, can't go wrong with the 225's.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 14
I don't have an amp, but I'm driving them from the headphone out of a speaker amp. I may look at buying an amp first/aswell then.
What are the MS2s comparable with? Or are they not what I'm looking for?

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 14
The MS2 should be more natural sounding, and a bit less bright/aggressive

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozstrike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have an amp, but I'm driving them from the headphone out of a speaker amp. I may look at buying an amp first/aswell then.
What are the MS2s comparable with? Or are they not what I'm looking for?

What are the MS2i comparable to? Uh...they fall somewhere between the MS-1 and the MS-Pro?

Well; yes they do, but that doesn't say much does it? Cost wise they probably sell for about the same as the SR-225 in your home town since they sell for the same price anywhere on the planet. Probably the Grados' they sound closest to would be the RS-2. Best bet would be to look at any of the MS2i threads and do some reading to get a better idea.

I'm really biased toward them so I may not be the best one to respond.
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 14
My general Head-Fi advice is to set your eyes on the most expensive piece of equipment you see possible to afford, and then save, save, save. You'll be happy with a pair of 225's, sure, but you'll be happier with a pair of RS-2's or RS-1's. Even if it takes you 6 months to gather together the funds, it's definitely worth it in the end as the amount of money you save by avoiding the inevitable upgraditis is more than enough to justify the high asking price for most of the phones I've suggested. And by sticking with Grado's or Alessandro's, you'll have time to save up for an amp, because they sound fine without one, as I'm sure you know or will discover.

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 14
My vote is for MS1's

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 14
I would recommend the SR225's over the MS1. The MS1 is not going the be much of a leap for you coming from the SR80. You will find them to be a bit tamer, and fuller sounding, with a mild warmth compared to the grados, but thats about it. The 225's are in a whole different league in my opinion. RS2 and RS1 are way more pricey.

Based on your music preference, which happens to be identical to mine rock and prog rock (add metal as well), I can tell you that the 225's are easily one of the best souding for those genres

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #14 of 14
Since you are in the UK, I vote Alessandros. The MS2 is quite possibly the best all-arounder in that family tree. I spend some time with my MS2s then went right for the RS1s. I really enjoyed the MS2s. So without any more rambling:

MS2s-the only thing about is some people complain about the weight, the cups are metal. I didnt have problem with it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back