Step up from M50's
Aug 12, 2014 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

phallan

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone.

I'm currently trying to replace/complement my amazing ATH M50's (my first proper headphone), and I'm looking for something that matches the criteria that the M50 has, and steps it up. Generally, and in these ways;
  1. Has a wide spectra of sound. In my opinion the M50 has a very good and clean sound. It has a good bass, good mids and enjoyable highs. I want all of this in my future headphone, but I also want a bass that punches even harder and goes even deeper.
  2. Good, tight fit. Today I find the M50 tends to slip off my head if I move too quickly or/and look down. I don't mind if it squeezes a bit. I also really enjoy when the headphone really turns the rest of the world off as I listen to music.
  3. Price range 100-200€.
  4. Wired/Wireless? I'd prefer it to be wired as I'd like to one day buy an AMP/DAC.

Thankful for any response to this!

/Sebastian

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 19
  Hey everyone.

I'm currently trying to replace/complement my amazing ATH M50's (my first proper headphone), and I'm looking for something that matches the criteria that the M50 has, and steps it up. Generally, and in these ways;
  1. Has a wide spectra of sound. In my opinion the M50 has a very good and clean sound. It has a good bass, good mids and enjoyable highs. I want all of this in my future headphone, but I also want a bass that punches even harder and goes even deeper.
  2. Good, tight fit. Today I find the M50 tends to slip off my head if I move too quickly or/and look down. I don't mind if it squeezes a bit. I also really enjoy when the headphone really turns the rest of the world off as I listen to music.
  3. Price range 100-200€.
  4. Wired/Wireless? I'd prefer it to be wired as I'd like to one day buy an AMP/DAC.

Thankful for any response to this!

/Sebastian

The natural step up from the M50 is often the (open) DT 990 (250 Ohm version) or (closed) Pro 750.  Both need an amp and neither may be within your budget if bought new (depending on your local prices & options for purchase).

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 19
Do you want a full size? Generally if you complement we are talking about a different category, like IEMs, which are more portable, and won't heat you up so much during the summer? I think the price bracket you described is about the same as M50. If you want more bass I'd maybe consider one of the VModas. They are in the high end of your price bracket, and are good basshead phones.

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 19
If you can do open headphones, the X1's might be a great option for you. Can you handle some sound leaking in and out?

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 19
The Beyers and the Denons have solid bass...haven't heard the HP100s but some folks seem to like them a lot

Beyer DT770s are 145€ 

Denon D600s are 231€

SoundMagic HP100s for 189€

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 19
Thank you all for your advice, I've been checking up on them and what his me is that most of these seem like "DJ/Mixing"-type of headphones.

The ones I found the most interesting were the Philips Fidelio X1 and BeyerDynamic 990 Pro 250Ohm. Also found two on my own that I have no experience of. They were the Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 and the BeyerDynamic Custom One Pro.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Also, keep the suggestions coming :)

Also, I don't mind if they're open or closed that much. But it's more with my colleagues at work in mind! :wink:

/Seb

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 19
The Custom One Pro (COP) are often compared to the DT 770. They have a quite similar sound, but the DT 770 has a bit more details and slightly more treble. Therefore the COP has an adjustable bass response. There are four stages, from neutral to bass head. They are mainly designed for portable purposes (32 Ohms) but can also benefit from amplifying them.

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #9 of 19
The Custom One Pro (COP) are often compared to the DT 770. They have a quite similar sound, but the DT 770 has a bit more details and slightly more treble. Therefore the COP has an adjustable bass response. There are four stages, from neutral to bass head. They are mainly designed for portable purposes (32 Ohms) but can also benefit from amplifying them.

Thank you for your input! Are you saying that the COP have a button on the headset that changes the sound profile?

Seb

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #10 of 19
Go on, I'll add another - planar magnetics like the HiFiMAN HE-400 (or the newer 400i) have a similar sound to the M50 but with much better bass extension and imaging.

They'll be indoor-only headphones though and will need amping.

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 19
  Go on, I'll add another - planar magnetics like the HiFiMAN HE-400 (or the newer 400i) have a similar sound to the M50 but with much better bass extension and imaging.

They'll be indoor-only headphones though and will need amping.

+1 for the HE-400 as a complement to go with the M50.  I use both most days.

The M50 is great at work where I don't want to bother the other folks in the office.  The HE-400 stays at home for more serious listening with my DAC / AMP.  I think I'd get too many funny looks wearing the HE-400 at work since they are so big.

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 19
Good step-ups from the M50 without changing too much I think would be the ATH WS99 or the Soundmagic HP100 though the soundmagic might be a little less bass than the M50.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #13 of 19

Thank you for your input! Are you saying that the COP have a button on the headset that changes the sound profile?

Seb

There are no buttons and no sound profiles. Have a look at pictures of the COP and you will notice a little slider on the bottom of the cans. With that slider you can adjust the bass port. It's a physical/mechanical adjustment, no software needed.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 19

Seb

There's a port on the bottom of each can that you can adjust, it's kinda like a slider. You can check out this review for more info https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDBWrSENTps

I was in the same boat as you. However couldn't decide if I wanted to pull the plug on the Beyer 990s so I'm just enjoying my M50s for now
dt880smile.png
. Good luck on your search. Interested to see which route you go!

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 19

There's a port on the bottom of each can that you can adjust, it's kinda like a slider. You can check out this review for more info https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDBWrSENTps

I was in the same boat as you. However couldn't decide if I wanted to pull the plug on the Beyer 990s so I'm just enjoying my M50s for now
dt880smile.png
. Good luck on your search. Interested to see which route you go!

Alright (to both of you answering) thanks!

For the record I've been on the hunt for an upgrade for a month or so. The idea is to get a great set of headphones that can and will work smoothly with a dac/amp setup together with my MacBook Pro 13" Retina at work. So the mobility isn't a requirement this time, as it was with the m50, what is a...thing i need though..is a headphone that shuts the world OUT and keeps the music somewhat IN, hopefully this won't make the sound unnatural. When I decide on a headphone I want the quality of the sound to be the main focus.

Seb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back