Step-up from HD595. HD650, DT880 or something else?
Oct 1, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #16 of 23
Given your avowed music tastes, have you considered the Ultrasone Proline 2500's?

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peoples /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't even heard of them. I guess they are good if you are recommending them.

I owned the PL 2500 for one day and got rid of them. They are the most sibilant headphone I have ever heard and that wasnt my only issue with the 2500. I have since had the chance to hear the headphone with the required million hours break in .... and I still think the Ultrasone sounds plain weird. S-Logic mids sound muffled, recessed and nothing like real music to me. The Senn 600 is a much safer choice IMO.
600smile.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the PL 2500 for one day and got rid of them. They are the most sibilant headphone I have ever heard and that wasnt my only issue with the 2500. I have since had the chance to hear the headphone with the required million hours break in .... and I still think the Ultrasone sounds plain weird. S-Logic mids sound muffled, recessed and nothing like real music to me. The Senn 600 is a much safer choice IMO.
600smile.gif

I agree with this statement about stock Ultrasones. I've happened upon a few basic mods, that when applied to the PL650, and PL2500, turn them into very descent cans. The issue with sibilance and midrange, as well as tightening up the bass considerably. I haven't posted about the mods to the 2500 yet, but plan to when I get time. If open cans work for your application, I would highly recommend you give the PL2500s a listen, particularly with the minor mods I am going to suggest. I will do a comparative review against the HD600/Cardas and K701 when I post the modifications. They're certainly worth your consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back