Step up from 10USD 'headphone
Oct 11, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #16 of 32
Great minds think alike!

Yes indeed I'm planing a Singapore trip, worst case I'll be going over to Hong Kong and get my pheadphone+USB AmpDac on November.

I'm looking for places to shop in Singapore and Hong Kong at this moment. Worst case scenario I'll buy from Internet with worldwide shipping to Malaysia.

Btw top models are insanely over prices here as well. Thanks!

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #19 of 32
I just saw sennheiser HD238 selling for 60$ on ebay (exclude shipping) Is this a good deal?

I'm writing in for inquiry anyway. However I'm a bit worried about warranty as I'm not sure if I can send to my local service center. Hope Sennheiser has global support.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #20 of 32
Found Grados in Malaysia!!
I inquired about 80i and 125i, and they are kind enough to invite me to pay a visit to their show room for listening as well.
Very good impression. I had a chat with their consultant Simon. He is very knowledgeable and I can see that he has done nice mods to his equipments in demo room. He's also very active in a couple forums (Simon if this forum is one of it please PM me. C'mon how can you not be active in Head-Fi
biggrin.gif
).
So they let me try their break-in 60i and a brand new 80i on a set of C.E.C high-fi equipment. I have listen to lots of music such as:
Yo-Yo Ma essentials. (My own CD)
Beethoven Symphony No 5 (my own CD)
Tchaikovsky Violin concerto by Itzhak Perlman
Etc , mainly orchestra pieces.

Sr-60i
Holly **** I'm poisoned!! This headphone review the details and some recording limits that I have never managed to observed after listening to my own CD for at least 20~30 times? Not sure if this is due to the Hi-Fi or the headphone - but I'm swamped with the music awesomeness!!!
Very nice and settled bass. Full. The percussion are well presented, but not bloated (which I love). Double bass stands out and are very pleasant. Brass is very clear as well.
Perfect highs and probably mid highs. SWEET. The highs are so refined it’s like I have never heard before. The vocal range is very colorful, and forward. The amazing part is they although they stand out, it’s not excessively bright and not piercing at all. And I enjoy to vocal A LOT.
However it seems to be a bit lacking on mid strings and low woodwind range. (Cello, or lower viola). This is further confirmed when I listen to the YoYo-Ma CD. I'm not sure if this is consider recessed since I'm don't listen to a lot of headphones. There are noticeable "weaker" but still present.

SR-80i
The 80 reveals even more detail, and even more refined on the high and mid highs right out the box. Bass is however, noticeably harsh. I think bass will be much better after some break-in. If I have a choice I will definitely get the SR-80i comparing the 2.
I can notice an improvement Depth and Sound stage on this over the 60 as well.

Side note:
They are nice for me to listen out their speakers as well - Same amp, same player, just on speaker. The speakers have much better soundstage and depth. On pieces with solo or few instruments they beat the headphones hands down. However, this is a bit weird that when come to orchestra pieces I somehow feel that it’s kind of muffled on some frequency range like that are not able to present everything – not sure if it’s revealing the recording’s true sound, or some other limitations. I know it may be contradict my statement of better soundstage and depth but this is weird…. If that’s is true then I kind of understand why some people say a lot more investment on speakers (and AMP, and room acoustic), in order to review the same detail as a good pair of headphones.

One of my best listening experiences.

Back to Grados – if you listen to a lot of solo pieces for violins and vocal, or even pop and such, I think it’s a no brainer decision – I would buy them hands down. I can only imagine how Maria Callas sound on Grados. I think Jazz would be nice too since double bass sounds perfect on Grados.
However, if you are listening to orchestra pieces… I think a more lay back / balance headphone will do a better job. Since orchestra pieces tend to have emphasis on every frequency range.
I’m looking for a classical headphone for my first. If I decide to have headphones for different signature Grados is definitely one of them!

Also they don't look as big as last time I saw them. Hmm... And surprisingly comfortable.

But they do leak.

By the way, the Grados’ price is considered reasonable. (Not cheaper than US hahaha but hey what you expect in Malaysia – but its close enough). I would recommend getting from them; unless you can find any other shop servicing your pair of Grados. And perhaps Simon can help you with some mods it. :p But that might mean voiding your warranty!!

If you are in Malaysia and want to try out Grados, seek out Simon or Esther out on
Adress:
MUSIC BY DESIGN SDN. BHD
J-33-1, 1ST FLOOR, BLOCK J, JAYA ONE, NO. 72A,
JAKAN UNIVERSITI, PETALING JAYA / KUALA LUMPUR
SELANGOR DARUL EHSAN 46200
Tel: +60 3 7954 2818
Fax: +60 3 7954 2919
Website: Russound Distributed Audio-Video and Multiroom Entertainment Systems
email: apkkl@streamyx.com

And no I don't own that shop.

P.S. If you read this, Siman and Esther, thank you and you 2 rock!

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #21 of 32
Oh Sennheiser is very nice too. I sent in inquiry and they have no problem servicing my headphone no matter where I get them.

Back to the headphone offer on HD-238. Have anyone traded with Dakmart on e-bay before? Are they reliable? Thanks.

Thank you sennheiser!

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #22 of 32
Looking for opinions again.

During my Hong Kong trip I did some searching but seems like the market are flooded by closed headphones for my price range (100-150). Saw PX100-II but too bad they are not available for testing.

Tried AKG and ATH close cans and they are all in my opinion not suitable for classical. Too much base, and spoils the sounds stage and depth.

I did write-in to Dakmart but feels fishy how that they manage to sell HD-238 so cheap...

Seems like I'm limited with Senn and Grado's @ this moment, but I do start to look @ the more expansive models now *sigh*.

I'm still open to recommendations on classical open on-ear cans going from 100~hmm.. 200? Or settle for a 1 time expensive can that will last for years
confused_face_2.gif

I do have a stock ibasso D10 going with it now...

Need to start searching the forum again.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galesden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is comfort a major factor for you? If it isn't I would suggest the Alessandro MS1 (it is a more neutral sounding grado) since ordering grados outside of the US can get expensive.
If comfort is important go with the D1001, it sounds great and feels like its not even there.

On the contrary, the MS-1(i) ships for free from the US and is rather cheap to start ($99-$109). Apart from any duty that you incur (that would be the case with non-Alessandro/Grado purchases, as well), these are very affordable. And they sound amazing, esp. with bowl pads.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #24 of 32
Which part of MY are you in? How far are you from Singapore?

Singapore seems to have a large headphone fan base, you can try posing this question at SGHeadphones

I haven't used them myself but a lot of people here recommend Shop you can Trust, I believe they have a store in SG. Check them out, they stock a lot of Audio Technica, Denon, and Senns.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #25 of 32
Thanks all for your recommendation

Quote:

Originally Posted by francisdemarte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which part of MY are you in? How far are you from Singapore?

Singapore seems to have a large headphone fan base, you can try posing this question at SGHeadphones

I haven't used them myself but a lot of people here recommend Shop you can Trust, I believe they have a store in SG. Check them out, they stock a lot of Audio Technica, Denon, and Senns.

Thanks gave a visit to SGHeadphones and indeed people are very helpful. However I browse through the posts and most people are listening to IEM or close phones for my price range. Probably because most people need portability + isolation for that price range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the contrary, the MS-1(i) ships for free from the US and is rather cheap to start ($99-$109). Apart from any duty that you incur (that would be the case with non-Alessandro/Grado purchases, as well), these are very affordable. And they sound amazing, esp. with bowl pads.

I checked there is no duty / fax @ that price range. Looking for them in Amazon but no luck.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #26 of 32
I need something quick by December before trip to Europe so I just placed an order for HD238.

Thanks for all the help and comments. Hopefully I'll settle for a while.

I will do some full-size can shopping in Europe as well but I doubt their price will be competitive since their living standard is so much higher...

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #27 of 32
KIV list for Christmas deal -
AKG K601
AKG K701
AKG K702
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700
Audio-Technica ATH-AD900
Beyerdynamic DT770
Beyerdynamic DT880
Grado SR225i
Grado SR325i
Sennheiser HD448
Sennheiser HD555
Sennheiser HD595
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD650
SONY MDR-F1
SONY MDR-SA5000
SONY MDR-SA3000
SONY MDR-SA1000
Ms-1

Those yet to research:
AKG K142 HD
AKG K172 HD
AKG K242 HD
Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700
Beyerdynamic DT860
SONY MDR-F1
AKG K142 HD
AKG K172 HD
AKG K242 HD

Dec 27, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #29 of 32
Got my HD238 for 1 months now and definitely a great buy. With round ~60 hours of listening and rough handling in my backpack 24X7, survived the 3 weeks trip in Europe, proof itself with
1. Good build (I missed handle it a couple times e.g. place it @ the bottom of the backpack).
2. Good sound quality, and still improves over time. (Well, could be physiological, but I'll do some ABing with my old phone)
3. Good looking in public.
4. Great ear warmer during winter lol - better then IEMs, but not those full size cans
biggrin.gif

5. Great comfort - I used it in winter with my glasses + hat and no issue.
6. Good for long hour listening - 5 hours of listening.

Love it a lot, and still breaking in once in a while with white / pink noise + frequency sweep.

Tried the remove center foam mod and does improve clarity but lose the warm so I'll undone the mod still looking forward for it to improve in SQ over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back