[step up] beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80
Apr 5, 2016 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Denmark

New Head-Fier
Hello forum

After a few years of daily (ab)use of my dear DT 770 Pro's, the cables now so worn that it's starting to crack in different places. While i could get it replaced, i feel like i might aswell step up my game a little.

I'm not an audiophile, but more of an enthusiast. I don't own alot of audio equipment (B&W 600 series surround for the home theater, Futuresonics Atrio MG7 in ears for work, Fiio E10K DAC/AMP, and ofcourse my 770 Pro's), but at the end of the day, i simply enjoy good quality audio.

Genres: I listen to alot of different genres. From Rammstein to Paul Lewis performing a sonata by Bethoven. Radiohead, Massive Attack, Rökkurró, Florence + The Machine and a whole lot of electronic. My 770's do (in my very humble oppinion) fairly well across all of those genres, but they do excel at pretty much everything electronic or bassy - which i like!

I'm used to closed backs, but have no preference on the design.

My budget is around 500€, (that's 600$ roughly), so it's not the world, but i hope it's enough to get me an upgrade on the beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80's.

On a sidenote, i've been researching the following, but theres so many pro's and con's, that i'm having a hard time finding those deciding factors).

Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 (1 gen) (above my budget, but able to get a good price on these)
Fostex TH500RP
Beyerdynamic T90 (I'm able to take these home for a listening session later this week)
Shure SRH1840
Shure SRH1540 (reading alot of good about these)
Sennheiser hd650

Suggestions, advice, personal experiences, all is welcome!

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 7
I would add the PM-3, HE400i and 400S (some people prefer the 400S despite its lower price. It is the most recent HiFiMAN release.), and lastly the HP50. All or any one of these could potentially work for you.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 7
  After a few years of daily (ab)use of my dear DT 770 Pro's, the cables now so worn that it's starting to crack in different places. While i could get it replaced, i feel like i might aswell step up my game a little.
I'm not an audiophile, but more of an enthusiast. I don't own alot of audio equipment (B&W 600 series surround for the home theater, Futuresonics Atrio MG7 in ears for work, Fiio E10K DAC/AMP, and ofcourse my 770 Pro's), but at the end of the day, i simply enjoy good quality audio.
Genres: I listen to alot of different genres. From Rammstein to Paul Lewis performing a sonata by Bethoven. Radiohead, Massive Attack, Rökkurró, Florence + The Machine and a whole lot of electronic. My 770's do (in my very humble oppinion) fairly well across all of those genres, but they do excel at pretty much everything electronic or bassy - which i like!
I'm used to closed backs, but have no preference on the design.
My budget is around 500€, (that's 600$ roughly), so it's not the world, but i hope it's enough to get me an upgrade on the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80's.
On a sidenote, i've been researching the following, but theres so many pro's and con's, that i'm having a hard time finding those deciding factors).
Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 (1 gen) (above my budget, but able to get a good price on these)
Fostex TH500RP
Beyerdynamic T90 (I'm able to take these home for a listening session later this week)
Shure SRH1840
Shure SRH1540 (reading alot of good about these)
Sennheiser hd650
Suggestions, advice, personal experiences, all is welcome!

Currently listening to Mike Posner's I took a pill in Ibiza, with my Beyer T90 :)

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 7
The 'HIFIMAN HE-400i' seems to fit the bill actually. Read about them, but never concidered them due to the whole Magnetic Planar technology. But after doing some more research, people seem to be really impressed with this pair! And they look absolutely stunning!

I'm taking a chance, and ordering a pair from Amazon. They'll be arriving tomorrow :)

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 7
  The 'HIFIMAN HE-400i' seems to fit the bill actually. Read about them, but never concidered them due to the whole Magnetic Planar technology. But after doing some more research, people seem to be really impressed with this pair! And they look absolutely stunning!

I'm taking a chance, and ordering a pair from Amazon. They'll be arriving tomorrow :)

Let us know how they turn out for you.

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 7
I will :)

Quick question, i'm a bit confused on this:

Would it be possible to pair the Fiio E07K (DAC) with the Schiit Magni 2 (AMP), or is that a bad solution? I'd like to save some money since i already have a DAC from the E07K, but guessing the AMP isn't strong enough to drive the HE-400i's..

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 7
  I will :)

Quick question, I'm a bit confused on this:

Would it be possible to pair the FiiO E07K (DAC) with the Schiit Magni 2 (AMP), or is that a bad solution? I'd like to save some money since i already have a DAC from the E07K, but guessing the AMP isn't strong enough to drive the HE-400i's..

Plug the HE-400i into the FiiO E07K and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back