Step Down Converter 100V Japanese amp to 110V and 220V in one kit? HA-5000. Please help...
Aug 18, 2010 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MikePio

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the HA-5000 amp, and it's voltage is 100V from Japan. The problem is that I travel from North America to Europe a lot, and would like to have a converter to have two outputs for both north america and europe for 100V. Is that even possible? Cheers,

-MikePio.

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 4
unless i'm confused, you don't need two outputs. you just need a step-down converter that outputs 100V and has a universal (110-240V) input. these are readily available in Japan, but you might have to hunt around a little harder locally. find out what the power consumption of the HA-5000 is, and get a converter that supplies roughly double the Wattage to give you enough head room.

transformers tend to be heavy, though. if you have a residence or storage in both countries, it'd be better just to procure one locally on each continent to save you the trouble of lugging one around.

Aug 20, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
unless i'm confused, you don't need two outputs. you just need a step-down converter that outputs 100V and has a universal (110-240V) input. these are readily available in Japan, but you might have to hunt around a little harder locally. find out what the power consumption of the HA-5000 is, and get a converter that supplies roughly double the Wattage to give you enough head room.

transformers tend to be heavy, though. if you have a residence or storage in both countries, it'd be better just to procure one locally on each continent to save you the trouble of lugging one around.

Hey PhaedrusX, 

I meant two inputs... My fault, though I did purchase the Ariake UT-110W transformer that has both the 110V and 220V inputs, and is directly from Japan. Seems like the quality is really good, though a little bit expensive. Only weighs 720g, so transportation should not be a problem. I did not want to take a risk and buy a cheap transformer, since I heard it could affect the sound, slight humming or distortion. Well once again thanks for replying, and I can hardly wait to try out my W5000's on the HA-5000! Cheers, 

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 4
I'm looking for a good 100V transformer as well, mainly for 230V step-down but 110V would be nice as well. I would've bought that Ariake UT110W piece but it doesn't have a 3 pin connction for ground, as do all the other 100V transformers i looked at. How does the Ground issue adressed in Japan anyway? 

Anyway, if someone could recommend a nice, grounded 230V-100V transformer that would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back