Damn!
eek.gif

Nice rig Iron_Dreamer!

Wish I had something like that one day.
confused.gif

Oh well, Christmas is close...
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #77 of 86
Has anyone compared the Stello DA100 to the Bel Canto DAC-2?

Jun 17, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #78 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you get any blacker background than DA100? It's dead black, no background noise at all.

I was going through this thread once again and noticed this comment of mine.

We just had a minimeet here and one attender auditioned DA100 + HP100 combo with his IEM's. I can't remember which model it was but some Shure IEM's they were.

His first comment was "this is the first setup on which I've heard no background noise at all with my IEM's".

I just wanted to share this with you.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone compared the Stello DA100 to the Bel Canto DAC-2?

I think Iron_Dreamer has some experience with both of them.

Jun 17, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #79 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I know this may come as a major shock to some of you, but the DA100 actually is quieter than the DA220. With an efficient headphone, and my gain and volume maxed out, the DA220 has an additional hiss to the background noise that is not present with the DA100. It's very noticeable, but of course, nobody would listen at such a level, so it's a moot point.

The HP100 looks like it could be a pretty good amp, and it would not surprise me if it is, based on their track record. My guess is that it's good enough to be in the range where further improvement is quite subtle, and quite expensive. I'd be interested in hearing it someday. Until then, I'll have to get by with "just another headphone amp."
biggrin.gif
[/IMG]

I noticed from your sig that you're using the MiniDAC, which I'm assuming you prefer over the Stello range. How does the MiniDAC compare to the DA100 and the DA220? Cheers.

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #80 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed from your sig that you're using the MiniDAC, which I'm assuming you prefer over the Stello range. How does the MiniDAC compare to the DA100 and the DA220? Cheers.

It's not so much that I prefer it, but that my priorities for my audio system changed a bit. I'm using the Apogee as much for its' compactness, low cost, and versatility as I am its' sound quality. That said, the main differences I noticed between the DA220 and Apogee were a couple areas:

The Apogee had slightly more impact in the lowest bass, whereas the DA220 was more prominent in the mid to upper bass.

The Apogee's soundstage seemed a bit airer, but with smaller images than the DA220. Overall size was about the same, but presentation varied a bit between the two.

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #81 of 86
Quote:

It's not so much that I prefer it, but that my priorities for my audio system changed a bit. I'm using the Apogee as much for its' compactness, low cost, and versatility as I am its' sound quality. That said, the main differences I noticed between the DA220 and Apogee were a couple areas:

The Apogee had slightly more impact in the lowest bass, whereas the DA220 was more prominent in the mid to upper bass.

The Apogee's soundstage seemed a bit airer, but with smaller images than the DA220. Overall size was about the same, but presentation varied a bit between the two.

This is a very good endorsement of the Mini-Dac. I think there are some major price differences. The DA220 is a bit more configurable I think.

Jun 17, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #82 of 86
Quote:

Thanks for that comparison.

Jun 17, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #83 of 86
Quote:

That's some interesting DAC path you've gone through. People's preferences seem to run the gamut when it comes to these "comparably-priced" DAC's: Apogee, Benchmark, Lavry, Stello, CIA, AQVox, etc.

BTW, have you tried the battery PS for the MiniDAC yet?

Jun 17, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #84 of 86
If you don't mind me asking, Iron_Dreamer, where did you buy your Apogee Mini-DAC?

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #85 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a very good endorsement of the Mini-Dac. I think there are some major price differences. The DA220 is a bit more configurable I think.

Yeah, the DA220 certainly has advantages. The digital output section is super handy for meets or comparing DACs, among other possible uses. It's a good looking full-sized home component that's built like a tank. It has phase control, selectable upsampling, and multiple coax inputs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's some interesting DAC path you've gone through. People's preferences seem to run the gamut when it comes to these "comparably-priced" DAC's: Apogee, Benchmark, Lavry, Stello, CIA, AQVox, etc.

BTW, have you tried the battery PS for the MiniDAC yet?

Yeah, it's been a fun run. I probably could have just stood pat with the DAC1, but it was a lot more fun this way. I'm sticking with the Apogee because it is the most practical option, and I'd want a much higher level of sound quality to sacrifice that. So until I've got $8500 doing nothing in my account...
wink.gif

Experimenting with different power for the MiniDAC sounds fun. I'm pondering AMB's Theta-11 power supply, as well as batteries. Certainly it's a good project for the next time I'm bored.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't mind me asking, Iron_Dreamer, where did you buy your Apogee Mini-DAC?

A'gon baby! The first and foremost source source, for me at least
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #86 of 86
Hello, Does anyone still use the DA220 ?
I can't play 24 bit / 192 kHz audio files with it using the coax inputs. Is somebody encounters the same problem ?
Apart from that, I'm still very happy with this DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back