Stello: DA220 or DA100?
Aug 31, 2007 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

325xi

100+ Head-Fier
Ok guys, I need help.

I need DAC for Squeezebox - and I'm thinking Stello... Now, I can't decide between DA220MkII and DA100. DA220 is better future proof being balanced with XLR, but for Squeezbox it's irrelevant - I may need it in the future if I trade SB for something more advanced. DA100, being almost 2.5 times less expensive, will sound identically with SB as per iron_dreamer, so it should be fine - but then it'll have to go if I get balanced source.

What's "wiser" in my situation - DA220 or DA100?

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 37
Basically DA220 is balanced. I heard the DA220 mark 2 has some updates, but I suspect singleended the DA220 will be extremely extremely close to the DA100

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 37
That's what I meant - it's balanced and the question is if its worthwhile to invest more then 2 times of DA100 cost if at this moment I don't have other balanced equimpent to take advantage of that?

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 37
If you are going to continue down the path of audio I think inevitably you will want to check out the balance schtick. Whether or not you hear a difference or even find it to be an improvement is of course not a surety, but its definitely worth checking out.

As for whether the da220 is worth it? I think perhaps not... unless you buy gabelogans for 900ish in the FS forums which is not much above the retail value of a da100. If you don't forsee going balanced for a couple years then you probably can find something of better value by then perhaps. It's not a guarantee. You just gotta gauge the velocity of your upgrades and consider the opportunity cost trade off by going da220 over da100 and see if its worth it.

Aug 31, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 37
Look at it this way. How soon might you be going balanced?

If soon, let's say within the year, go for the DA220, otherwise go with the DA100.

To me the DA100 is easier to sell as it has a much larger market single ended, not to mention it fits the budget of more buyers.

Who knows what killer dac might come out in the next year. Dacs seem to improve very quickly as they are chip based and we all know about how fast chips improve.

As far as balanced, I recently went balanced and found a huge improvement and found it well worth the money. See my sig for details. But I spent a LOT of money, even doing it frugally.

So look at your budget, look at your future plans and make a decision.

Me, I'd probably do the DA100 now and start saving up for the BIG system :xf_cool: all the while keeping an eye on the dac market. Good luck!

Sep 1, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

I suspect singleended the DA220 will be extremely extremely close to the DA100

That is NOT the case. Although all three sound very nice, the DA100 sounds much more like the DA220MKII, but with less detail. The DA220 has way less bass in it's sound signature when compared to the DA100, but like the DA220MKII with more detail. The difference is quite noticable when you've got a high resolution system that is sensative enough to the amount of bass. In that case a MKII clearly is the best choice. If you don't have such a system: go for the DA100. If you do have a high resolution system, but the thinner sound isn't a problem (for you or the system): go for the DA220.

Note
I've made this claim more than once, and virtually got shot doing so. But rest assured: in the meantime multiple Dutch owners have confirmed my findings.

Sep 1, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonvB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note
I've made this claim more than once, and virtually got shot doing so. But rest assured: in the meantime multiple Dutch owners have confirmed my findings.

Maybe they sound different on 240v instead of 120v
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

That is NOT the case. Although all three sound very nice, the DA100 sounds much more like the DA220MKII, but with less detail. The DA220 has way less bass in it's sound signature when compared to the DA100, but like the DA220MKII with more detail. The difference is quite noticable when you've got a high resolution system that is sensative enough to the amount of bass. In that case a MKII clearly is the best choice. If you don't have such a system: go for the DA100. If you do have a high resolution system, but the thinner sound isn't a problem (for you or the system): go for the DA220.

Note

Yeah, I'd still stick with the DA100. Even if there was a huge difference between them (and I personally think they sound identical) some extra detail, IMO, isn't worth $1000.

Sep 1, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Note

I can only guess that two units compared probably had different amount of burn in, other than that it's just a psycho acoustical effect, placebo from getting top of the line model.

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Maybe they sound different on 240v instead of 120v

Quote:

I can only guess that two units compared probably had different amount of burn in, other than that it's just a psycho acoustical effect, placebo from getting top of the line model.

You guys are so funny that it isn't funny anymore. Of course you both tested all of them with exactly the same system as I did. And both your ears are just as good as mine.

Quote:

some extra detail, IMO, isn't worth $1000.

It certainly isn't. I've just looked up the price of the DA100, and seems that they have lowered it considerably (haven't checked euro prices). When I bought mine, the difference was just a few hunderd, so well worth it IMO (as it's balanced as a bonus too).

Sep 1, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

It certainly isn't. I've just looked up the price of the DA100, and seems that they have lowered it considerably (haven't checked euro prices). When I bought mine, the difference was just a few hunderd, so well worth it IMO (as it's balanced as a bonus too).

Where, on hifi500 it stays the same as it was when it was introduced, $695?

Sep 2, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

If the world was like that we all were now listening to $200 home-theatre-in-the-box-thing. I'm sure my $3600 SimAudio CD player isn't worth it from this standpoint. But, the fact is - it definitely worth the price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, being unable to listen and compare to both, I feel rather confused having two so different positions about them.

BTW, having similar components doesn't necessarily mean identical sound. Different PCB design, noise and ground treatment, different length of signal path can affect signal enough to notice... and explain the price difference. In this hobby nuances usually come at price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back