Stello DA220 initial impressions
Apr 19, 2006 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Iron_Dreamer

Sponsor: Audeze
Landscape-Photo-Fi
Organizer for Can Jam '09
I picked up this DAC today from a nice fellow on the 'gon. I was amazed to find how well-built it was upon my first encounter with it. It is nearly as voluminous and as heavy if not moreso than my Dynahi. Pictures definitely don't do this item justice; it exudes elegance. Though it looks somewhat similar to the Aqvox DAC, the Stello easily betters it in terms of build quality, fit and finish.

DA220-2.jpg

DA220-3.jpg

DA220-1.jpg

Sound wise it's also very nice. I don't notice any deficiencies so far as compared to the Lavry, and I do hear a slightly fuller lower midrange. Engaging the upsampling to 192kHz gets a slightly smoother treble, with no easily apparent trade-offs (unlike the Aqvox's midrange coloration). I'm sure more listening time could ferret out a few more minor differences. Certainly the first impression is quite positive. The digital output makes it very easy to A-B compare with another DAC, certainly a nice bonus.

This DAC has always intrigued me for several reasons (AKM DAC chip, fully balanced class-A output, seperate analog&digital power supplies, to name a few) and it's nice to finally experience one.

Apr 19, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
you! it was you! i was second in line for that DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL sorry mate! I'd definitely stay on the warpath for one, if I were you. I'd been searching daily there for a while, so it's no mistake I got to it quickly. At least I was able to get it in person so that the demons of UPS could not get their grubby mitts on it
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 43
Ah, looks like Team DA220 has a new recruit, with Edipisreks in the wings as well. It's about time this great DAC gets some attention around here! I mean I've been extolling its virtues by myself for awhile now.

Excellent initial impressions Iron_Dreamer, I very much look forward to further reviews soon!

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 43
Welcome to the team
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Sound wise it's also very nice. I don't notice any deficiencies so far as compared to the Lavry, and I do hear a slightly fuller lower midrange.

What did you consider Lavry's dificiencies were? When do the modifications begin?
biggrin.gif
I can't believe you use a bunch of stock units after all this time. There's just no going back.

Apr 20, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
What did you consider Lavry's dificiencies were? When do the modifications begin?
biggrin.gif
I can't believe you use a bunch of stock units after all this time. There's just no going back.

Well, when I was using the Lavry on its' own, I didn't hear any deficiencies, as it was the best I'd owned. Now I hear a few very slight differences that sound like improvements over it to me.

As far as modding goes, this one might be DAC to do it to. Between the much larger and more attractive case, and more "mod-able" looking PSU. Of course I'll have to be sure I'm keeping it, but it's a good bet thus far. Any tips from the DAC-modding mad hatter (
wink.gif
) would certainly be useful and appreciated.

Apr 20, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Ah, looks like Team DA220 has a new recruit, with Edipisreks in the wings as well. It's about time this great DAC gets some attention around here! I mean I've been extolling its virtues by myself for awhile now.

Actually I think Edipisreks let his impatience get the better of him and he ended up picking up a Northstar Model 192 DAC. That and he couldn't get the guy selling the da220 to budge from his asking price
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 43
Cool, can't wait to read more impressions!
smily_headphones1.gif

I see you are using toslink to output to the Lavry... for shame. Switch that up to AES or Coax stat!
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckunstadt
Hey ID, have you done any listening through speakers yet? – which may easier reveal soundstage differences?

Nope, I haven't had the time yet. I wouldn't be too worried about throwing your Lavry out on its' tail just yet though
wink.gif
The sound differences alone certainly aren't that major.

May 3, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 43
What's your take so far on the DA220? Have you decided to put the Lavry up for sale? I'm looking at the Stello DA100 for purchase and would like to know your current impressions. How's the bottom end (bass extension and impact)? Would you say it's very musical/analog sounding? I'm trying to decide between the Scott Nixon TubeDAC USB or the DAC100 so your impressions will be of great value to me. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back